It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
(male)

pjh44pj HB User
Crestor and muscle pain

I have been taking 10mgs of Crestor for about a year. I have developed muscle pain at the elbow area of my right arm. If I rotate my hand left and right my elbow pain is very pronounced. There is also an additional problem I hit the top part of the elbow on a door, hard and the boney part of the elbow has become tender and swollen. And the lower part of my bicep is becoming sore.
The question is: Is this a condition which is related to Crestor or am I just taking a longer time to heal because of my age. I'm going to be 64.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User
Re: Crestor and muscle pain

Yours sounds like tendon damage. I had immediate pain in my knees (both at the same moment) 2 weeks into taking statins which in searching for what it was found it to be tendon damage. After quitting the statins (5 years later), it went away as suddenly as it hit in both knees but it has continued to attack one joint after the other. I am almost 2 years off and still having tendon problems. Go to bed fine and wake up with horrid pain in a different joint that leaves it useless... and I have a real high tolerance for pain. It has been in my right shoulder for a year now, MRI shows tendonitis, arthritis, burcitis and a bone spur without ever a hint of a problem there before I woke up that morning and there it was and my shoulder was suddenly useless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
(male)

pjh44pj HB User
Smile Re: Crestor and muscle pain

Thank you for sharing-You could be correct. I'm going to consult with my Doctor again!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

Ha! Doctors are useless when it comes to side effects of the statin drugs, they won't admit to them or even listen to what you think about them. I get that rolled eyes thing from every doctor I tell "I believe statin drugs is the cause".. They can not admit they are not knolageable about the drugs they are prescribing to you (except for what the drug reps tell them), they can not admit they gave you a drug that did you more harm than good and they darn sure can't admit they don't know how to treat it.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
(male)

dmer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulubells View Post
Ha! Doctors are useless when it comes to side effects of the statin drugs, they won't admit to them or even listen to what you think about them. I get that rolled eyes thing from every doctor I tell "I believe statin drugs is the cause".. They can not admit they are not knolageable about the drugs they are prescribing to you (except for what the drug reps tell them), they can not admit they gave you a drug that did you more harm than good and they darn sure can't admit they don't know how to treat it.
I share some of your feelings toward Dr's, however, when I'd been on Pravachol for about 3 months and complained of various aches, my Dr. suggested he had to give it up for similar symptoms. He was fully apprised of some of the statin side effects. He mentioned some in advance to me, but not with a sharp focus. Individual reactions to these things varies and there are probably quite a few people taking them who escape side effects. For a Dr. to prejudice an opinion of statins in advance wouldn't serve much purpose. The professional approach is to monitor your lipids, liver function and respond to direct comments from the patient.

Statins may well be an indirect canon when it comes to targeting heart disease, but the recent Crestor study showing reduced MI's with people who took the statin, even without any cholesterol problem, is a major wake up. Hopefully, drugs will emerge that target a specific condition without statin side effects. Until then, the choices are difficult.

Closed Thread