It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

chrissie55 HB User
high cholesterol and poor kidney function

Hello I am new to this site and have joined because yesterday my gp rang to tell me that re results of blood tests my choleserol is high and kidney function not as good as it should be. Has prescribed me 20mg of Simvastatin, 1 aspirin and 1.25mg of Ramipril for my kidneys. I am concerned re the meds as bothe the Ramipril and the Simvastatin mention not taking if any kidney problems!
I am also concerned as there have been a number of write ups lately warning people off Statins of any sort due to adverse side effects and long term damage etc; also due to the fact that once on Simvastatin you can't come off them! Also the Ramipril is supposedly for high BP which I don't have. Can anyone advise me please and are there any Homeopathic medicatons I can take instead?
Thanks Chrissie x

Last edited by chrissie55; 04-02-2008 at 01:45 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to chrissie55:
amyrohde (01-24-2012)
Old 04-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User
Re: high cholesterol and poor kidney function

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissie55 View Post
... the Ramipril is supposedly for high BP which I don't have. ...
High blood pressure is known to cause kidney damage. And ACE inhibitors are thought to have a protective effect on the kidneys that is independent of lowering blood pressure. It is a bit of stretch, IMO. But it is why doctors prescribe ACE inhibitors to people who are at risk of kidney disease (especially diabetics), even if their blood pressure is normal. It is ironic that an adverse effect of these medications is kidney damage . It sounds like aspirin has also been prescribed as a prophylactic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissie55 View Post
... I am also concerned as there have been a number of write ups lately warning people off Statins of any sort due to adverse side effects and long term damage etc; also due to the fact that once on Simvastatin you can't come off them! ....
Because heart attack risk increases with age, you will only benefit from using statins if you take them for the rest of your life. That is why they say you should not stop taking them. But research also shows that you really shouldn't take statins if you are female or over the age of 69 .

Ultimately, you need to decide whether you want to take these drugs. Ask your doctor to explain his thinking for you.

Last edited by Mark1e; 04-02-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

Chrissie-

I did not know statins affect the kidneys. I do know statins can alter liver function and liver enzymes should be checked periodically. the most serious side effect with statins is a type of muscle wasting. As I understand this is fairly uncommon.

I am on a low dose of Lipitor. I will check the list of SEs, as I was unaware there was any negative affet on the kidneys.

Leea

Old 04-05-2008, 04:10 AM   #4
(female)

anlina HB User

Chrissie,

Would you mind saying what the kidney function test was?

Thanks a lot,

Anlina

Closed Thread