It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
(female)

miklah HB User
Low HDL?? I'm confused.

I realize this is the HIGH cholesterol board, but my HDL is low (39), which I gather is dangerous? So I'm confused.

I'm 37, very thin, don't smoke, eat well. My overall cholesterol is 192.

So I'm supposed to try to raise my HDL and doctor said to take fish oil tablets.

What else do you do to raise HDL? And is this serious as having high cholesterol?

Enlighten me please!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
(female)

LilliTN HB User
Re: Low HDL?? I'm confused.

Isn't 40 the low end though? You aren't that low. I just left the dr. and he said to pay attention to the ratio. Below the totals there is a ratio and see where that falls.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
(female)

Sasham HB User

I believe 40 is the low end HDL for males.
50 for females. At least that is what I have
read.

miklah's TC/HDL ratio is 4.9.
Average for females is 4.5 or below.
So miklah, it probably would benefit you to
raise your HDL if you can.

My HDL is pretty good, 70. A couple
things I do that I think help keep it up
are walking each day (exercise), drinking
a moderate amount (4oz.) red wine five
out of seven days, and eating just under
a fourth cup walnuts most every day.
(Other things I did to lower my overall
cholesterol are listed in my thread below)
Also, you stated you eat well, so you
probably already know...watch those
fats and avoid processed food as much
as possible.

How were your other numbers?

Best,
Sasha

Old 04-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
(female)

miklah HB User

Well, like I said overall was 192 and I don't remember what the LDL was, but it was within normal limits.

Can't drink red wine because of my migraines, and exercise is tough with a 7 month old, 2 year old and full time work! I do yoga at work twice a week.

But if cholesterol is LOW, why am I avoiding fatty foods if I'm trying to raise it? I don't understand.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Yes, chronically low HDL is a dangerous thing. I'm living proof (thank god, after a 99% blockage in a major coronary artery at age 53).

It is probably more dangerous than high LDL in my opinion (and if I'm remembering correctly, there has been at least one study substantiating that opinion).

Please don't try to avoid all, or even most, fat in your diet; you only need to minimize saturated fat, e.g. the kind found in abundance in milk, butter, cheese, fatty cuts of beef and pork, etc. You probably need to increase the kind of fat you find in olive oil, canola oil, natural peanut butter, almonds, avocados, etc.

The only thing that increased my HDL was the B vitamin niacin. In the high doses that are generally required to increase HDL, it can have side effects so educate yourself carefully before trying it; personally, I would not do so except under the supervision of a doctor.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklah View Post
... if cholesterol is LOW, why am I avoiding fatty foods if I'm trying to raise it? I don't understand.
Don't believe everything the dieticians and doctors tell you. The notion that eating low-fat is healthy is a myth. The best way to raise HDL is to eat saturated fat - eggs, cheese, fish, meat, chicken (don't remove the skin and fat). I get 65% of my calories from fat, much of which is saturated, and my HDL is 82. The only fat you should be limiting is trans fat, which you find in most processed foods.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1e View Post
Don't believe everything the dieticians and doctors tell you. The notion that eating low-fat is healthy is a myth. The best way to raise HDL is to eat saturated fat - eggs, cheese, fish, meat, chicken (don't remove the skin and fat). I get 65% of my calories from fat, much of which is saturated, and my HDL is 82. The only fat you should be limiting is trans fat, which you find in most processed foods.
Okay, we agree on a few things. <g> It is true that eating low-fat is not healthy, depending upon what one means by low-fat. And it is definitely true that we absolutely must limit trans fat (I try to avoid it all together).

But, in my experience, different people respond differently to saturated fat in their diet. The absolute lowest HDL (and highest LDL) readings I've ever had in my life were when following an Atkins type diet.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Beg to differ, eating low fat is not necessarily a bad thing, but eating high fat surely is.

The best way to raise HDL is not only based on saturated fat...to use this approach alone is not wise.

There is a nice huge 1000+ page text named "Lipoproteins in Health and Disease" if you want to back up the recommendations with scientific studies.

The short summary for increasing HDL, in order of impact:

Endurance exercise
Fish oil consumption
Alcohol consumption
Diet (yes, including sat fats but not trans).

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
But, in my experience, different people respond differently to saturated fat in their diet. The absolute lowest HDL (and highest LDL) readings I've ever had in my life were when following an Atkins type diet.
Agreed...

There are many variables. Metabolic Syndrome X is one that effects many and persons with this condition are often at high risk for CHD. Generally speaking persons with this condition respond best to low carb higher fat and protein diets. This is just one example there are many other conditions can have an effect.

Closed Thread