It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

xersen HB Userxersen HB User
Question Numbness and Pain in Arms/Hands w/ Statin

Hello,

did some searching on this board and now understand that statins can cause nerve problems. im on simvistatin (zocor) 40mgs per day. ive been taking it for about a month and this week ive had ridiculous numbness and pain in my fingers, parts of my hands, and forearm. also pain, like the type of pain when you hit your ulnar nerve. so im guessing it's the zoror right?

i stopped taking it today, so ill see if this goes away. my question is... is once you have reached the point of numbness in in your arms and hands, is that permanent damage or will it possibly just go away after stopping the meds? i'd go to my doctor and ask this, but im pretty fed up with them because ive been in twice for this in the past week and not one of them has even mentioned that it could be the statin. (and yes, they are very clear that i am taking one).

thanks!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
(male)

dmer HB User
Re: Numbness and Pain in Arms/Hands w/ Statin

In another thread, I mentioned that my Dr. (who had been taking a statin himself) was quite clued into side effects. I started on 40mg of generic pravachol and dropped that to 20mg because I had a very significant weight loss, exercise pattern and dietary change. With the statin, these things caused my numbers to plummet.

However, the moment I alluded to pain and discomfort,my Dr. suggested dropping the statin right away. He indicated going on something like a 10mg dose of Lipitor. From what I understand reading here, Lipitor may have even more intense side effects.

At any rate, I completely stopped the statin 4 days ago and the disomfort I had is still present. I'll keep off it for 30 days, test my blood and see how I feel. People express differing time frames to recover from perceived side effects. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

JanD HB User

I have been having buttocks and back of thigh pains for 1.5 years after my station dose was upped to 40 mg. (lovastatin). I have told 3 different doctors that I thought it was the statin result. They all disagreed. They tried me on Zetia and Crestor and stil had pains. Had x-rays of the lower spine which indicated I have some arthritis there. I am 72 years old and this is expected.

I stopped my lovastatin 2 weeks ago, and am awaiting blood results. I see the doctor on Thursday and am prepared to tell him that I will not take another statin and want to try a natural route. Also, since stopping the statin the pains have been less and less. I refuse to live with the side effects. I could hardly walk in the a.m. and my legs were burning and felt weak. I will let you know what happens on Thursday.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
(male)

TLB50 HB User

I have been on Crestor for about 1 1/2 years and had great results. My TC dropped from 240 to 162 and LDL from 151 to 98. Previously I had tried the diet route and could only get a marginal improvement. Well that is the good news. About 4 months ago I started having occasional numbness/tingling in my legs and feet. This didn't happen very often so I didn't think much of it. Recently it has become more frequent and my arms/hands also have some tingling. It is kind of like when your hands/feet go to sleep. I am wondering if it could be the statin. I have not taken any for a few days and I have noticed some improvement. I hope it continues to improve. If it is from the Crestor how long would it take to show a large improvement? Is this reversible?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I've been taking 20 mg. of Lipitor for quite a few years. Lately, I've been having numbness in my fingers, arm, leg, into my foot. Is it possible that these are side effects from the statin (after all this time)? I'm going to the doctor on Monday,and I will ask him about this. I have blood tests twice a year to check my cholesterol, etc., as well as liver function and muscle.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

xersen HB Userxersen HB User

my doc literally laughed at me when i suggested that the numbness could be the statin. sort of made me mad.

when i stopped it, the pain and numbness magically went away.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
(male)

TLB50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslager View Post
my doc literally laughed at me when i suggested that the numbness could be the statin. sort of made me mad.

when i stopped it, the pain and numbness magically went away.
Imagine that! It seems like every time I suggest to my doctor that I am having side effects from a medication I get this look of total disbelief.

I thought the numbness/tingling in my legs and feet may have been from the statin but it turns out that I have borderline low B12 levels. I only found out from a lot of research and convincing the doctor to do a blood test. I have been on a PPI for over 3 years and it can block absorption of B12. When I told my doctor he said he had never heard of that as a side effect of a PPI. It doesn't take long to find the information on the web! But unfortunately doctors are very skeptical of patients saying thaey are having side effects.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
(male)

vipergg HB User

Statins increase your chance of getting perhipheral neuropathy like 35&#37; . This can definetly cause nerve problems and possibly permanent nerve damage if you take statins too long . Take it from me , have severe PN in both feet from taking statins 2-3 years . Have very little feeling left either foot and it has not resolved itself since quitting statins some years ago now. If you don't want permanent damage you should contemplate stopping statins . Thru watching carbs and taking 2000 IU's of vitamin D my levels were down to 165 after my last test. <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-17-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
(female)

debb2008 HB User

Listen closely people, my brother is a doctor and "guess what" they won't tell you that the statin med side affects are extremely common. The side affects, listed as "rare" are so common that its really quite disconcerting that the doctors will not admit it. My partner took statin meds for about 11 months. He was tired all the time, had numbness in his arms and legs, intense cramps throughout his body etc etc, every side affect except being "dead"! The pharmacist told him to stop taking the statin immediately and the pharmacist called the doctor for my boyfriend. After taking Niacin, for about 4 months, the doctor wanted to try another statin med. My boyfriend took it for a total of 8 weeks and every side affect came back with a vengence! He called the doctor immediately and the doctor took him off the statin. He is now permenantly off the statin and takes "Non-flash" Niacin (Niacin causes hot flashes that last about 30 minutes, he no longer asks me what hot flashes are...wawhoo ladies!). He did finally find a "non-flash" Niacin and it controls the chlorestorol, however, the doctor couldn't guarantee the damage would go away. Unfortunately, it became permanent. He gets tired about every 3-4 months for about 1 week. A man of 64 years of age that goes to bed at 7:00 p.m. and has already had 3 naps prior to that during the day. He is left with stomach, leg and foot cramps that are excruiciating at times. Its been over a year since he stopped taking the statin. The doctor told him he would know within 6 months how much of the side affects he would live with for the rest of his life. Its not safe ladies and gentlemen and the medical field is not telling you the truth. We were fortunate that we had a doctor WITHOUT an ego. She was truthful and assisted us. She didn't laugh at us like the previous guy in the last post. Change doctors, you have a lazy doctor!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

It's very scary to think that a med that supposed to help your cholesterol can cause so many unwanted side effects. I was just at the doctor this past Monday. I told him about the numbness that I have (it comes and goes), and he never mentioned anything about the fact that Lipitor could be causing it. I had too many things to ask him and completely forgot to mention that maybe Lipitor could be causing the numbness. I will put in a call to him, though. I'm taking it quite a few years - it's strange that these symptoms are just occurring now??

Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

In some people the symptoms of statin damage occur immediately and in others it takes years, but damage is done nevertheless. Be sure to take the supplement COQ10. That is one of the things that statins deplete from your body. <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-19-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 06-25-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
(male)

vipergg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlmon18 View Post
I've been taking 20 mg. of Lipitor for quite a few years. Lately, I've been having numbness in my fingers, arm, leg, into my foot. Is it possible that these are side effects from the statin (after all this time)? I'm going to the doctor on Monday,and I will ask him about this. I have blood tests twice a year to check my cholesterol, etc., as well as liver function and muscle.
Its "very" possible. Its peripheral neuropathy and it is a well known side effect that can cause permanent nerve damage if you continue to take statins . i know , have severe case in both feet from taking statins.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:19 AM   #13
(male)

vipergg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslager View Post
Hello,

did some searching on this board and now understand that statins can cause nerve problems. im on simvistatin (zocor) 40mgs per day. ive been taking it for about a month and this week ive had ridiculous numbness and pain in my fingers, parts of my hands, and forearm. also pain, like the type of pain when you hit your ulnar nerve. so im guessing it's the zoror right?

i stopped taking it today, so ill see if this goes away. my question is... is once you have reached the point of numbness in in your arms and hands, is that permanent damage or will it possibly just go away after stopping the meds? i'd go to my doctor and ask this, but im pretty fed up with them because ive been in twice for this in the past week and not one of them has even mentioned that it could be the statin. (and yes, they are very clear that i am taking one).

thanks!
If you have not been taking it very long you have a much better chance of it resolving itself than if you have been taking it for 2-3 years with this problem , it caused permanent damage in both my feet because i kept taking it because the doctor said it couldn't be the drug and that was before I knew better and started investigating all this myself.

Closed Thread