It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
(male)

jack983 HB User
Question Fish Body Oils (Omega), Store Vs. Doctor's Office

Hello,

I have high cholesterol, with very high triglyceride. I found out a few months ago.

I've been taking Fenofibrate. Also took fish body oils (omega).

During my recent follow up, my doctor said I need to do a blood test again, and when I mentioned I've been taking fish body oils he insisted that store versions won't help because of their lower strength.

I never knew this, but the doctor's office had supplements. The container even has his initial as the "brand" and the distribution address is his office.

So anyway, I bought one to try out.

For those with experience, what do you guys think, is this really helpful or just a way for them to make money?

I've been taking GNC Fish Body Oils:

EPA 180 mg x 2 capsules = 360 mg
DHA 120 mg x 2 capsules = 240 mg

Ingredients are: Gelatin, Rosemary Leaf Extract (Rosmarinus officinalis), Glycerin, Vitamin E, Fish Body Oil, Natural Lemon Flavor

The doctor's version is:

EPA 420 mg x 1 capsule = 420 mg
DHA 300 mg x 1 capsule = 300 mg

Ingredients are: Purified Marine Triglyceride Concentrate, Vitamin E mixed tocopherols, Gelatin, Glycerin and Purified Water

So as you can see, the strength is a bit higher, but the ingredients are mostly different. Is the doctor's version much better? I do see a mention of triglyceride although I don't know what that means as an ingredient, if it's beneficial or a gimmick.

And price wise, the doctor's version is more expensive, of course, which is why I want to make sure I'm not being ripped off or anything, because I am in my 20s and inexperienced.

GNC costs $24 for 360 capsules, divide that by the dosage of 2, it comes to 6 months supply.

The doctor's version is $22 for 60 capsules, dosage is 1, so that's only 2 months supply.

What do you guys think? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User
Re: Fish Body Oils (Omega), Store Vs. Doctor's Office

He's just making money off of you. And he's also recommending an odd dose of Omega 3s to deal with triglycerides. You need at least 1800mg/daily, up to 3 grams daily, depending on how high they are.

A 600mg or 720mg/daily dose won't do much of anything for you.

If your doctor truly believes over the counter fish oil won't help, he should prescribe Lovaza, which is a prescription omega 3 used for lowering triglyceride levels. If your co-pay isn't so bad, I'd suggest this option. One capsule of Lovaza has about 850mg+ of omega 3. Normal dosage is 3-4 capsules daily.

And there are decent over the counter brands too, like Carlson or Nordic Naturals. If you take a lower concentrate fish oil, you just need to take more of it.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Fish Body Oils (Omega), Store Vs. Doctor's Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessme View Post
He's just making money off of you. And he's also recommending an odd dose of Omega 3s to deal with triglycerides. You need at least 1800mg/daily, up to 3 grams daily, depending on how high they are.

A 600mg or 720mg/daily dose won't do much of anything for you.

If your doctor truly believes over the counter fish oil won't help, he should prescribe Lovaza, which is a prescription omega 3 used for lowering triglyceride levels. If your co-pay isn't so bad, I'd suggest this option. One capsule of Lovaza has about 850mg+ of omega 3. Normal dosage is 3-4 capsules daily.

And there are decent over the counter brands too, like Carlson or Nordic Naturals. If you take a lower concentrate fish oil, you just need to take more of it.
Agree on all accounts.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
Re: Fish Body Oils (Omega), Store Vs. Doctor's Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack983 View Post
Hello,

I have high cholesterol, with very high triglyceride. I found out a few months ago.

I've been taking Fenofibrate. Also took fish body oils (omega).

During my recent follow up, my doctor said I need to do a blood test again, and when I mentioned I've been taking fish body oils he insisted that store versions won't help because of their lower strength.

I never knew this, but the doctor's office had supplements. The container even has his initial as the "brand" and the distribution address is his office.

So anyway, I bought one to try out.

For those with experience, what do you guys think, is this really helpful or just a way for them to make money?

I've been taking GNC Fish Body Oils:

EPA 180 mg x 2 capsules = 360 mg
DHA 120 mg x 2 capsules = 240 mg

Ingredients are: Gelatin, Rosemary Leaf Extract (Rosmarinus officinalis), Glycerin, Vitamin E, Fish Body Oil, Natural Lemon Flavor

The doctor's version is:

EPA 420 mg x 1 capsule = 420 mg
DHA 300 mg x 1 capsule = 300 mg

Ingredients are: Purified Marine Triglyceride Concentrate, Vitamin E mixed tocopherols, Gelatin, Glycerin and Purified Water

So as you can see, the strength is a bit higher, but the ingredients are mostly different. Is the doctor's version much better? I do see a mention of triglyceride although I don't know what that means as an ingredient, if it's beneficial or a gimmick.

And price wise, the doctor's version is more expensive, of course, which is why I want to make sure I'm not being ripped off or anything, because I am in my 20s and inexperienced.

GNC costs $24 for 360 capsules, divide that by the dosage of 2, it comes to 6 months supply.

The doctor's version is $22 for 60 capsules, dosage is 1, so that's only 2 months supply.

What do you guys think? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Jack,

As I mentioned on another post, there is a prescription brand on the market called LOVAZA it's old name was OMACOR. This is a highly purified OMEGA-3 which is FDA approved. If you have prescription insurance, definitely go with the prescription MD product. OMEGA-3 oils are very expensive, especially the best (higher grade forms) such as CARLSON, NORDIC NATURALS etc. Unfortunately, you never really know what your getting from store shelves because they are not regulated or FDA approved. If you can get a prescription OMEGA-3 for a good co-payment price. Thats great...

Closed Thread