It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2002, 06:06 PM   #1

todteach HB User
Exclamation Lipitor side effects, please reply asap

Ok, my mom called today, they dont have a computer and she asked me to research Lipitor for my dad. He wanted to know if anyone had any sexual side effects with lipitor. He takes it, and I am not sure if he means, over or under sex drive or other side effects. Can someone email me either way!

------------------
Christine age 31

Old 07-16-2002, 06:15 PM   #2
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User
Yes all statins can decrease your sex drive . They generally make you feel like doing nothing a lot of the time .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2002, 06:35 PM   #3

todteach HB User
Thanks for the quick reply Viper, just wondering how you know this? I tried to research Statins and Lipitor directly and can not find any indication or information on sexual side effects any where. Would like to show my dad the resources That I got the info from if I am giving info.

------------------
Christine age 31

Old 07-16-2002, 08:00 PM   #4

smag16 HB User
Lowering cholesterol affects the endocrine system. In men, if the cholesterol isn't high enough, they can't produce testosterone. The first thing affected is the brain as cognitive abilities are reduced and amnesia can occur... later impotence occurs. Depression is also a symptom of a low cholesterol and a lowered hormonal level which often leads to even less production of testosterone.
Emotional flat lining is also a side effect of statins...some even produce phychosis and personality changes.
My DH had all of this.. took him off fat free food, stopped his statins, and put him on low carb...fed him steak and green vegetables everyday, got him some hormonal therapy (natural testosterone not synthetic) and it took him nearly a year to return to his normal self. Many men think it's just old age. Not so!

Old 07-17-2002, 03:05 AM   #5
Inactive

LooneyJM HB User
I've noticed an increase in sex drive since switching from Lipitor to Niaspan (niacin). I thought it was the warmer weather at first ;-)

Old 07-17-2002, 12:09 PM   #6

Gooba HB User
Those are things that could happen.It only happens in a very small amount of instances.By all means do the diet thing first.
As for the hormonal treatment,I am glad your approach worked for your husband.The down side is that with the increased testosterone you have put him in a higher risk category for prostate cancer.

Old 07-17-2002, 03:59 PM   #7

todteach HB User
Thank you all so much for answering,I will forward this info to my dad. I think maybe some men have had these problems and do not report it because they feel it is not related, glad that we brought it up!

Old 07-17-2002, 04:29 PM   #8

smag16 HB User
The added testosterone and the type that he uses is better than him being 11 years old!! His level was down to that of an 11 year old and he acts like one when it's that low!! He is totally unfit to even drive and can't even handle our finances!
He takes saw palmetto and has a test for this postate cancer every 3 months.
One might consider that testosterone (natural) is a normal hormone for a man...if high levels cause cancer then why don't young men get it? It's the same argument for female hormones like the estrogen scare...I am willing to take my chances and have for 15 years. His hormonal treatment is worth the chance too.
Have several articles on testosterone being the good heart hormone. Testosterone certainly affects mood too.
Endocrinology is one of my specialties. The study of this is what lead to my discovery of what statins do to a male's body. It damaged my DH's ability to ever make testosterone again. It isn't just a sex hormone... it mainly affects the brain (cognitive abilities and personality) ... not to mention the muscles, and hair growth and the voice.
Spent 2 years studying this 10-12 hours per day.
I know that the med. prof. treats the postate cancer by killing testosterone even by castration. But the higher testosterone doesn't do anything but good for the heart and brain.. sense of "well being" is increased too and that relieves stress which inturn is also good for the cardiovascular system. DHEA is also good for this as it mimics testosterone in many ways.
Being able to have an erection is the least of the side effects to testosterone... cognitive abilities and being able to enjoy life as yourself is more important.
Think on this... a man's testosterone is the highest at 17-18...why don't the teens drop dead all the time with postate cancer and heart disease?

Old 07-17-2002, 06:10 PM   #9
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User
Red face

For a list of the nice potential side effects go to this page ,within it you'll see decreased libido . [url="http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/atorvastatin_ad.htm"]http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/atorvastatin_ad.htm[/url]

Old 07-18-2002, 06:02 AM   #10

Gooba HB User
If,as you say that endocrinology is one of your specialties,then you already know why young men do not get prostate cancer with the high testerone levels.Our bodies metabolize different when we are younger versus how we are as we get older.
I am glad that you approach works for your husband.Do what works.My point was that there is an increased risk of prostate cancer with the higher testerone levels.That is validated by the testing that is done on him every 3 months.I have friends who have prostate cancer,are taking the hormone injections and they are only tested every 6 months.
It is not the testerone that affects the brain as much as you have indicated.It is the reduction of cholesterol that affects the thought processes.The brain needs cholesterol to function.
I do agree that a sense of wellbeing is healthy for the cardiovascular system.When you feel good about yourself and have no stress,you do not produce adrenaline which constricts your coronary arteries,tells your liver to produce more cholesterol.Sustained stress and you have the potential for a heart attack.
In reference to the "nice potential side effects" of statins,that is exactly what that is.Potential.That does not mean that you will experience them.In fact the odds are that you will not experience any of them.

Old 07-18-2002, 05:59 PM   #11

smag16 HB User
Yes, I agree about the cholesterol levels inhibiting the function of the brain, but I have to disagree about the testosterone and the brain. Low levels of testosterone, according to my vast research on the subject, do affect it greatly and in many ways. The production of estrodiol affects this also. (How deeply into this do you wish to go?) How long has it been since you read the latest research on the brain and hormone influences?
As for the metabolization of testosterone as men age...a great deal of it depends on the diet, amount and type of exercise the older man gets. The diet is all important....low carb.
Throw in a testosterone inhibiting drug like statins, the natural decline of this hormone due to age , a lack of cholesterol and the brain suffers a triple whamy! The muscles suffer from the statins and the rapid loss of testosterone. Aging becomes rapid.

As for the word "potential".... there is risk involved with everything one does..There is a "potential" that I will be killed in a car accident tomorrow..will I get on the highway..you betcha!!! There was a "potential" that this LC diet may have made him worse.. he got better...there is 'potential' that the testosterone may give him cancer... BUT he will enjoy his life in the mean time healthier and happier than had he continued the statins and the low to no fat diet he was on. As a matter of fact, had he continued like he was, he would have been dead over a year ago!

Semantics and statistics can be quite fun at times, but I only came here to report what had helped him and us for that matter. If one person is helped by what I have posted, great! I'll be back next June for another report. Bye...

Old 07-19-2002, 09:03 AM   #12

Gooba HB User
I am pleased that your research comvinced you that you needed to try the testosterone on your husband and that you had good results.That is great news and I hope it continues well for both of you.
You asked how deeply into the subject I wanted to go.I do keep up on the latest research on the brain and hormonal therapies.I read,and I also talk to people who have or are survivors of cancer.Also heart attack survivors.This is face to face.
The metabolization of testosterone in men is affected somewhat by diet.Low carb is not always the answer.Younger men are more active and the need of higher carbs in their diet.If you look at atheletes,it has been found that they have a decreased level of testosterone in their bodies as well as a decrease in zinc.Now,I would not say that these guys are in the same condition mentally as your husband was before you started the additional testosterone.
As men age their body metabolizes everything differently and their bodies need different things than when they were younger.
Here is the danger in your testosterone replacement.You seem to imply that you are in expert in this by your statements.If that is true,then you should have clarified a couple of things.You should have said that you had your husband undergo a biopsy on his prostate before he started the additional testosterone.That is the only way to be sure that he does not have cancerous cells.A DRE and a PSA will not show this.You can have a normal PSA,but the cancer cells can be present.You do this because the addition of testosterone will have some benefits,but it will cause the cancerous cells in the prostate to grow rapidly if they are present.So,how was his biopsy,or are you just relying on a PSA?You should have also brought all of this out so people could make an informed judgement.
I am going to say one more thing about the low carb diet.It does work,but it is not known whether it is safe.Expecially if you are on medication.It needs to be discussed with your Dr before trying it.
The potential part of my post was not directed toward you.But,I will clarify my position.The subject of statins and their side effects have been discussed numerous times.Each time the potential side effects are posted,it is as if that is what is going to happen to you.Not that it is a possibility.This is each and every time.You see,I am not playing semantics here.Potential means just that.No semantics.It could happen.Not it will.Big difference.Why plant that mental seed.
I hope you have a good report later.If you did not get that biopsy for him,do it now.

Old 08-01-2002, 12:01 PM   #13

baintex HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by vipergg22:
For a list of the nice potential side effects go to this page ,within it you'll see decreased libido . [url="http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/atorvastatin_ad.htm"]http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/atorvastatin_ad.htm[/url]
hey, moderator, if this person is allowed to post a link to this site, which is an information site, then why was I edited when I posted a link to an article on a similar type site? The People's Pharmacy, which I linked to, is NOT A PHARMACY or an online drug seller, it's an informational site by a valid author and researcher of drug and supplement effects and side effect.

I posted research about the uses of a certain household staple, and the article link was edited out.

I see links all the time on the boards, and here's the perfect example.

bain

Closed Thread