HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High Cholesterol (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/)
-   -   Hi Cholesterol & Irritable Bowel Link ? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/61364-hi-cholesterol-irritable-bowel-link.html)

BenC 06-07-2002 07:39 PM

Hi Cholesterol & Irritable Bowel Link ?

Hi All,

After reading current and archived messages, I seem to have observed that there may be a link between having high Cholesterol and being susceptible to Irritable Bowel Symptoms (not being medication induced).

Unfortunately, I suffer from both, and it appears that for me, both manifested themselves at around the same point in time.

Any comments ?

lusty22 06-08-2002 08:20 PM

I am very interested in this theory of yours as my husband was just recently diagnosed with colitis, which is a form of an IBS and he also has high cholesterol. Why and how do you think they are related? His colonoscopy results were inconclusive but his colon was inflamed greatly and the surgeon who did the procedure has sent his results to another lab as he was confused. He has all the symptoms of the disease and is suffering greatly. I just posted a message tonight under IBS and then saw yours. please help me understand.

indigal 01-22-2003 10:04 AM

Hi,
After reading both these postings, even I feel that there could be a link between IBS and high chol.
My hubby has a TC of 300 , HDL of 62 and TG of 160.
He also has IBS from since around the same time that high chol. was detected. Could there be some connection?

hunter44 01-23-2003 12:08 PM

From what I have read at the medical issue section of the low carb forum many people are relieved of bowel/intestinal problems as well as lowering high cholesterol through the low carb diet. Grains (carbohydrate) could also be the culprit. Only way to find out is to try a low carb/grain elimination diet.

ashn222 01-23-2003 12:58 PM

I also have IBS and High Cholesterol. I thought of this connection awhile back, but have not really looked into it. It seems to make sense to me. With my irritable bowel I get constipated alot, so my body is not flushing out what it needs to. Do you think this is why my cholesterol levels don't go down. I am now on Lipitor for about 2 weeks and have not had any problems. Minor muscle aches for one day....so we will see in a few months when I get tested again. I think the IBS and High Cholesterol questions is a good one.

vipergg22 01-23-2003 06:16 PM

Certainly don't rule out lipitor as your cause , I know when I took it many foods would run right thru me and I had better be near a bathroom after I ate . My brother in law also stopped it for the same reason and his irritable bowel symptoms almost totally disappeared , he is now taking tricor which seems to be better for him .

32skater 01-23-2003 06:32 PM

Metamucil is excellent to take and I take it
everyday in cranberry juice. Supposed to help
out with cholesteral too. The fiber, bulk is good
for a person.

Magpiezoe 01-27-2003 06:18 AM

Hello, I don't know, but all the people in my family with high cholesterol never had IBS. My mother, who didn't have high cholesterol, was missdianosed with IBS and did not have high cholesterol...What she really had was colon cancer.

------------------
Magpie