It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2003, 03:33 PM   #1

Miriam HB User
Post How much fish oil should I take?

Hi,

Well, I just got my fish oil capsules. I went the expensive route and bought Carlson's fish oil capsules, as they are supposed to be the best that you can buy. I took my first two (500 mg of fish oils each) a couple of hours ago. Everything seems okay, but I am burping a little fishy taste. YUCK! I do NOT like fish!

So, I was planning on taking 3000 mg (6 capsules) per day, as I read that on a few sites. But now I've read on a few more sites that I should only need like 500-1000 mg per day to lower my triglyerides. To be honest, I'm kind of hoping I only have to take one or two per day rather than six.

So, anybody know for sure?

I appreciate any help here!

Old 02-02-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
Yes, 3000mg of fish oil sounds about right if you need to lower triglycerides. If your triglycerides were already in the normal range, then I would say that 500-1000mg would be an adequate amount. Now, if you were a fish eater, and ate fish two or three times per week, then I would say that you may be able to get by with less.

[This message has been edited by ARIZONA73 (edited 02-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2003, 05:14 PM   #3

Miriam HB User
Hi Arizona,

Ugh! Yeah, I figured that I'd have to take that much. Oh well...this stuff isn't all that bad, really.

LOL. Oh well...I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Old 02-03-2003, 04:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
Just for comparison, I take 2 2-g capsules daily and eat fish (usually salmon) twice per week. I have heard others describe a fishy burp taste, but neither my wife, who takes the same dose, nor I have experienced this.

I wish I could quantitate its role in lowering triglycerides and improving one's lipid panel in general. All I can really tell you is that fish and fish oil have been incorporated into my new lifestyle for the last 9 months. In that time I have went off of Tricor and watched my Triglycerides plummet from 108 mg/dL to 34 mg/dL for my last blood draw about 2 weeks ago. Then again, I have also lost 55 lbs of weight, exercise daily, consume much less carbs and keep my intake of saturated fat to a minimum.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:30 AM   #5

Miriam HB User
Hi ubernier

It sure sounds like you are getting good results from your fish oil. I do know what you mean about not knowing if it's your weight loss or your fish oil or a combination of both. Either way, it sounds like you are really on the right track!

What brand of fish oil do you take? (if you don't mind me asking). From what I've read, there are only a few "good" brands out there...so I am always looking for people's opinions on certain brands.

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2003, 06:15 AM   #6

Miriam HB User
One other question that I had...do you (arizona or ubierner) know if I can take all of my fish oil capsules at once? I take 6 1000 mg capsules a day.(but each capsule has only 500 mg of the Omega 3 fish oils). I am now taking 2 at each meal, but I'm burping a bit of fishy taste all day that way. Can I take them all at once? Or is that too much at one time?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2003, 06:23 AM   #7
Inactive

hunter44 HB User
Carbohydrate intake probably has more of an impact than any other factor on Triclyceride levels. Metabolic speaking, excess carbs are immediately turned into Trigs and then stored as fat. The majority of people who limit carb intake see an almost immediate reduction in Trigs. Saturated fat on the other hand has very little impact on Trigs but does help increase HDL levels.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
I will have to look up the brand to be sure, but I think its called Zone 3, 2-g capsules, and the oil is distilled to remove impurities.

I take one in the morning with my vitamin cocktail, and one in the evening with dinner.

I can elaborate on something Hunter44 pointed out about a reduction in carbs. When I was eating excessive and sedentary, I managed to keep my weight above 220 lbs while eating almost no carbs. The recipe is not quite what they had in mind when they say "low carb diet." Anyway, with medication, my triglycerides had dropped from above 400 to near 100. Just before my heart attack,they had crept back up to just over 150, which was then treated by increasing my Tricor dosage. After changing the diet, and before I started my regimen of fish oil, I did have my triglycerides to 80-100 without Tricor.

Now I have them half of that, but I have continued to lose another 20 lbs, while increasing my activity from walking 60 min to running 30-40 min daily. Thats what makes it harder to quantitate and separate out fish oil benefit from exercise and weight loss. My diet has remained constant after heart attack, so the decrease should be attributed to the above mentioned factors.

Added note:I just found it--its called Zone Perfect Omega-3 Fish Oils.

[This message has been edited by ubernier (edited 02-03-2003).]

Old 02-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #9

Miriam HB User
Smile

Hi ubernier,

Thanks again for your prompt response. And I tend to agree with you on the low carbs, I tried that route too...with no results.

I do get so afraid that I'm going to have a heart attack, but my doc assures me that I do NOT have heart disease. Although, she has never run any tests, except for the normal lipids. So I don't know how someone would be "diagnosed" with heart disease, except for having an attack I suppose.

My numbers are terrible, that's for sure. So I am hoping and praying that all this natural stuff will work. My numbers at my last testing were:

TC = 321
HDL = 58
LDL = 184
Tri = 393

Not pretty, I know.

Thanks for giving me the name of your Fish Oil tablets, I may give them a try.

TC = 321
HDL = 58
LDL = 184
Tri = 393

Old 02-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

pcovers HB User
Miriam, keep in mind that when most people talk about recommended amounts they are talking about whole fish oil, not the specific omega 3 content. At least 90% of fish oil capsules consumed by consumers are 1 gram capsules with 30% omega3. That is 300 mg of omega 3 per 1 gram (1 capsule). If you took 6 of those a day, you would be taking 6 grams of fish oil and you would be getting 1.8 grams of omega 3. With the Carlson, you are now consuming 6 capsules and that equates to 3 grams of omega 3. To get 3 grams of omega 3 from he vast majority of fish oil products out there, you would have to take 10 fish oil capsules. That is a lot.

I think you might be unnecessarily overdoing the amount. Three grams of omega 3 daily is quite a lot more than the norm. As I say, most would have to consume 10 grams of fish oil per day (10 capsules) to get the amount you are getting in the six Carlson capsules. I think you could do with lessening the amount you take and only take it at night, at dinner. Just a thought.

Old 02-04-2003, 11:32 AM   #11

Miriam HB User
Hi pcovers,

Hmmm, I thought that when folks talked about how much fish oil that they take, they would be only talking about the specific Omega 3's...like I am. Now that you worded it like that, I can see how folks could get confused. Like my Carlson's are 1000 mg capsules, so I am taking 6000 mg of Carlson's fish oil, but OF THAT 6000 mg, only 3000 mg of them is Omega 3's. Hmmm...good point though. The studies that I read on lowering numbers (trigs and tc) say that the subjects took 3000 mg of Omega 3's. Here is a clip of just one of the things that I read:

"Many double-blind trials have demonstrated that fish oils (also called fish-oil concentrates) containing EPA and DHA (mentioned above) lower TG levels. The amount of fish oil used in much of the research was an amount that provided 3,000 mg per day of omega-3 fatty acids. To calculate how much omega-3 fatty acid is contained in a fish-oil supplement, add together the amounts of EPA and DHA. For example, a typical 1,000-mg capsule of fish oil provides 180 mg of EPA and 120 mg of DHA (total omega-3 fatty acids = 300 mg). Ten of these capsules would contain 3,000 mg of omega-3 fatty acids. Other sources of omega-3 fatty acids, such as flaxseed oil, do not lower TGs. While flaxseed oil has other benefits, it should not be used for the purpose of reducing TGs.

So that's the kind of info I'm basing my 3000 mg of Omega 3 on. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to cut back, if nothing else, just for the costs! The supplements that I'm taking to combat this cholesterol problem are costing my about $160 per month! That is a LOT more than my old $15 per month copay for my statins was! But, as I've said, I am able to walk around (almost) pain free these days since tossing the statins in the garbage. As long as I'm able to afford this route, I'm going to give it a try. I certainly hope that my numbers do go down with all these natural rememdies!

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2003, 12:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Hello, I was just wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just eat "fatty" fish like salmon and tuna, instead of taking capsules? If you want to take capsules, that's ok. I'm just wondering if eating fish would be just as good. (I'm a seafood lover.)

------------------
Magpie

Old 02-04-2003, 12:21 PM   #13

Miriam HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Magpiezoe:
Hello, I was just wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just eat "fatty" fish like salmon and tuna, instead of taking capsules? If you want to take capsules, that's ok. I'm just wondering if eating fish would be just as good. (I'm a seafood lover.)

Hi Magpiezoe,

Yes, certainly it would be easier to eat fish, but I cannot stand fish. I would rather eat just about ANYTHING else, including liver, than fish. The hair on my arms and the back of my neck actually stand up when I smell fish. YUCK!

I've always been this way. My mom tells me that when I was little, like under 3 years old, that every time she'd give me fish, I would immediately vomit! I don't think I'm allergic to it, I just cannot stand the taste. I don't eat any seafood at all.

Weird, I know! My husband loves seafood, as do most people, and cannot understand how I can hate it so much.

Old 02-04-2003, 02:57 PM   #14
Inactive

hunter44 HB User
Miriam, I think you might have misunderstood ubernier, he does limit his carb intake as well as taking fish oil, and he is off the Tricor. Everything that I have read is that to get the necessary omega-3's you need about an ounce of it a day which is about 9 to 12 caps. Personally, I take six a day/flax seed oil, eat low carb and my trigs are 69, HDL is 73, and,I eat a lot of good fats. High carbohydrate intake correlates directly to high trigs, scientific basis. Most people expect immediate results when restricting carbs but in reality it takes 6 to 12 months for your body to adjust and show better numbers. Your numbers were very close to what mine were, now I have a complete diet change(for health not for weight) and have all desirable ratios. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2003, 03:21 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
Hunter44, I entirely agree with what you just said. Fish oil can be beneficial, but it most certainly should include restrictions in carbohydrate intake. If people make the mistake of believing that fish oil will do the trick without limitting their carbohydrate intake, the results will not likely be all that impressive. A high carb intake can negate much of the positive effects that fish oil provides. Any advantages that are derived from supplements must be complemented by a proper diet.

Closed Thread