It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2003, 06:22 PM   #1

strangebrew HB User
Post Cholesteral in high 300's ...what's the big deal?

Any others in here with numbers over 300? My parents both have very high cholesteral ...but as far back as we can trace there is NO heart disease in the family on either side. My doc has all but read me my last rights, and he is shocked that I'm not concerned. So what's the big deal?

Old 02-12-2003, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
Well, there you have it, folks! As Carlton Fredericks clearly pointed out in one of his books which was written nearly forty years ago, there have been people with high total cholesterol numbers throughout history who have lived to very ripe old ages. A point well taken indeed, and further proof that statin drugs are being unnecessarily prescribed to a great many people. By the way, what are your other numbers? What is your HDL, LDL, and triglycerides?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2003, 04:14 AM   #3

Gooba HB User
I totally agree.Screw the numbers they do not mean a thing.In fact there is no reason to give your numbers here,nor is there any reason to have a lipid panel done.A total waste of time and money.Relax guy,the Dr does not know what he is talking about.Keep on eating the way you have.

Old 02-13-2003, 05:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Apparently, there is much more to it than a total cholesterol reading. That's all I'm trying to say. Far too many people become overly concerned simply because their cholesterol happens to be over 200, and they often need not be. These new guidlines are unnecessarily frightening many people who may not even be at risk. I've never said that a lipid profile was useless. All I am implying is that a total cholesterol reading in and of itself means very little.

Old 02-13-2003, 05:39 AM   #5

phja HB User
strangbrew,
hi. how old are your parents, and do they smoke?

Old 02-13-2003, 05:51 AM   #6

lsm2000l HB User
my parents didn't know their cholesterol count. My father smoked he died at 69. My grandmother didn't smoke or worry about her cholesterol count and exercising and she lived to be 95. My cholesterol count was 288 and I was worried about it for a couple of days. From now on I'm not getting this stuff checked. The only thing I'm keeping checked is my blood pressure because I have high blood pressure. I'm not living my life around counts. If I die young because of my cholesterol, I'll die happy because I didn't have to worrry about what I eat and getting excercise. If I watched this stuff and lived to be old I'd be miserable anyway.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:04 AM   #7

Gooba HB User
You are correct about you not saying that.It could be interpreted that it is not relevant.LooneyJM is the one who made the statement on another post.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:13 AM   #8

strangebrew HB User
I forgot to point out that both my parents are in their 70's and neither smoke. I'm 42, don't smoke, have a normal weight, normal blood preasure, but high cholesterol. My doc is convinced that if I don't get on meds ASAP that I will surely be doomed. I am more concerned about cancer, since that does run in my family history ....sadly thare isn't a PILL for that yet.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:13 AM   #9

TDV HB User
Mine is over 400 and I appear to be fit as a fiddle!

Old 02-13-2003, 07:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
well I have a family hx of hi cholesterol and hi triglycerides its hereditary I thought the dr would go thru the roof when my cholesteral was over 500 and the triglycerides were 2000 but i told him its been higher than that in 93 so he put me on lopid as before havent yet gone back to get the blood re tested before it didnt bring it down much incidently my grandfather lived to be 96 wih the same stuff i also eat no fatty foods, oils, eggs very little cheese so go figure and my meats are lean cuts

[This message has been edited by delrae4753 (edited 02-13-2003).]

Old 02-13-2003, 07:06 AM   #11
(male)

nux HB User
I think the thing to remember is that there are many factors that contribute to good or poor health and cholesterol is PROBABLY one of them. I'd pay attention to the ratios and that new protein marker test, just as I would my BP readings, but I wouldn't jump to take meds just because the doc says so. I also wouldn't pay enormously high prices for so-called 'natural' remedies that end up in the urine stream a few hours after you take them.

If my cholesterol were over 300, I'd be concerned, but not freaked out. I'd check the other numbers and do a little research. And I'd take the statins if I felt or were convinced that I need to. In fact, I also have a relatively poor lipid panel (TCL=214, HDL=34, LDL=142, TRIGS=191) but all my immediate family menbers are well, and have lived well into their 80's. My doctor has told me that he doesn't think I need to take statins, and has advised me to try to get the HDLs higher through good eating habits. Basically, I'm going to monitor it.

Seems there are many variables to consider when it comes to health.

One more thing: with all the doctor bashing on these forums, I think we're losing perspective. On the whole, the docs who have treated me (and the vast majority of the people I know) have done a good job. I'm not saying that there aren't bad, or insensitive or even stupid docs out there. You just have shop around to find one that's right for you.

Old 02-13-2003, 09:47 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Strangebrew--This sounds like more of a knee-jerk reaction on your doctor's part. If you did in fact have a family history of heart disease, then I would say that you would be in a position to seriously heed your doctor's advice. But, as you have said, there is no heart disease in your family, even though other family members also have high cholesterol levels. Your family's medical history is a very critical factor to take into consideration, and unfortunately your doctor has chosen to ignore this fact. Therefore, in my opinion I think it was rather unethical on his part to insinuate that your present situation is so ominous.

Old 02-13-2003, 05:58 PM   #13

strangebrew HB User
Exclamation

Hey TDV ..with your level at 400 you are probably writing your last will and testament as we speak, huh?

Old 02-13-2003, 06:41 PM   #14
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User
Well take a statin that will increase your chances of getting cancer even more .

[Im more concerned about cancer, since that does run in my family history ....sadly thare isn't a PILL for that yet. [/B][/QUOTE]

Old 02-13-2003, 08:59 PM   #15

Miriam HB User
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by nux:
...I wouldn't jump to take meds just because the doc says so. I also wouldn't pay enormously high prices for so-called 'natural' remedies that end up in the urine stream a few hours after you take them.

If my cholesterol were over 300, I'd be concerned, but not freaked out. I'd check the other numbers and do a little research. And I'd take the statins if I felt or were convinced that I need to.

Hi nux...

One question for you...IF you couldn't take the statins...IF they made you hurt so badly that you couldn't get out of bed, couldn't work, couldn't live...THEN what would you do? I'm just asking because more and more people these days cannot take statins and live an even semi-normal life. So it certainly is something to think about. Hopefully, if you can't get your numbers down on your own, then you will tolerate statins well, but if not...then what?

Closed Thread