It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2003, 03:59 PM   #1

BlueBee HB User
Question Niaspan Reaction

(I posted this ? by mistake on the high/low b/p message board by mistake.)

Hi all. I've been taking niaspan for about 1 1/2 months. The first month was fine, no probs. Suddenly, after taking the medicine, I systematically feel tingling, itching, burning and redness from the top of my head all the way down to my ankles. Sometimes this happens an hour after I take it, or 4 hours after I take it. It is very uncomfortable and hurts to the touch. I realize that flushing is a common side effect with this med. but I get more than flushing. It's downright painful. Has anyone here ever experienced this, and is it an allergic reaction? It has occured about 5 times, even when I'm sleeping, it wakes me because it actually hurts.
I'm on 500 mg. and I eat a little something before taking.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:49 PM   #2

joseph rego HB User
Niaspan must be taken at night only. If you are on aspirin, then take your aspirin immediately after dinner and then wait half an hour and take your Niaspan. At your dosage, I would request a liver enzyme test and CPK levels. I am a survivor of a quintuple coronary blood vessel by-pass and now on Niaspan. It does not agree wtih me (although has brought my HDL up by 15%, lowered my TGs and LDL, VLDL) My CPK levels and AST levels are elevated to where it is of concern. Good luck. jr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2003, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
Tried Niaspan and had no reaction the first 5 nights. On the 6th night I turned lobster red from my scalp to my toes, broke out in a rash and blew up like a balloon. The swelling and flushing started to subside after an hour, but I itched for 24 hours and it took 48 hours for the rash to disappear. I had taken a 24 hour antihistamine earlier in the day (a normal thing for me) and without it, I think I would have ended up in the emergency room. My internist has added it to the list of drugs that I cannot take. I've had problems with the statins, too, so I'm just trying diet for the moment.

My thyroid is also out of whack, and I'm hoping that as we get it back under control it will help lower my LDL.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:17 AM   #4

RuthW HB User
My Dr. took me of Mevacor and put me on Niaspan. I've only taken it for 2 nights and so far so good. But I will pay attention for side effects. I take an aspirin a half an hour before I take it with food.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:18 AM   #5

RuthW HB User
My Dr. took me of Mevacor and put me on Niaspan. I've only taken it for 2 nights and so far so good. But I will pay attention for side effects. I take an aspirin a half an hour before I take it with food.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:24 AM   #6

dlmorrow HB User
I have been on 500 mg Niaspan for about one year without any major side effects other than the normal flushing. My dosage was raised to 1000mg to lower my Triglycerides (currently 257) and then I started having pain in back at my left shoulder blade area during exeration. After the dosage was increased to 2000mg my pain became much worse. Unable to walk a block without this stabbing pain in the back shoulder blade area and going to the left front. I have quit taking Niaspan and now the pain is much less but not gone. I fee is is going away but don't know how long the side effect will last.

Closed Thread