It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2003, 04:44 AM   #1

Vasoz HB User
Question Please help convert numbers from mmol/l to mg/dl

Please could someone help in converting cholestrol numbers from mmol/l to mg/dl.

Arizona, you appear to know how.

My hubbys numbers (age 40) are:
TC - 5.5
Trig - 0.9
HDL - 1.6
LDL - 3.5

TC/HDL = 3.4

My numbers (age 37) are:
TC - 6.7
Trigs - 0.9
HDL - 2.6
LDL - 3.7

TC/HDL = 2.6

I would also appreciate your comments on the numbers and ratios. Our doctor has requested to see us. I know that our LDL is high, but our ratios are good. I wonder what our doctors comments will be.

What should we do to reduce LDL?

Thanks in advance for your help.

[This message has been edited by Vasoz (edited 03-25-2003).]

Old 03-25-2003, 05:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
Vasov--To convert cholesterol values from mmol/l to mg/dl, you simply divide by .0259. To convert the triglyceride fraction, you divide by .0113.

Your husbands values in mg/dl would be:

TC 212
HDL 62
LDL 135
Trig 80
TC/HDL 3.4

Your values become:

TC 259
HDL 100
LDL 143
Trig 80
TC/HDL 2.6

As I see it, neither one of you has much of anything to worry about. All the ratios are fine, triglycerides are low, and HDL is excellent. This being the case, I don't feel that neither one of you needs to worry about LDL. In my opinion, your numbers are fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2003, 02:46 PM   #3

Vasoz HB User
Smile

Arizona, thank you very much. You are always so helpful.

I will come back with an update once we have met with the doctor. Let's see what he says!!!!!

Just as a side note (especially for other board members) - the high HDL is due to us consuming a lot of fish. We eat grilled salmon 2-3 times per week. And eat tuna/sardine (in brine) sandwiches for lunch. We use olive oil sparingly and never butter, mayo or marg. I use a little canola oil when I bake homemade muffins. We very seldom eat take out. We seldom eat candy or chocolates and nibble on dried figs/apricots and almonds.

We would like to exercise more though and will make a concerted effort to do so.

Old 03-25-2003, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
Vasoz, I would be very interested to hear what your doctor has to say about those numbers. All of the ratios appear favorable, and are all well within the benchmark guidlines. TC/HDL, and Trig/HDL ratios are just fine. The LDL/HDL ratio should ideally not be higher than 2.5, so both of you are well within the guidlines for this as well. I suppose the doctor can start nit-picking about one single number. However, it's important to understand that a single number is of little significance until all the pieces of the puzzle are put together. So, ultimately it is your ratios that determine your risk.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:57 PM   #5

Vasoz HB User
Finally got to see the doctor about our results. He said that he was not unhappy with the results. He is happy with the Trigs and HDL levels and is therefore not concerned with the LDL reading. Both my hubby and I are within an average weight range, and could do with exercising more to lose a few kilos.

I was expecting to challenge the doctor, but he simply validated what I already knew.

Closed Thread