It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2003, 09:25 PM   #1

Sarah101 HB User
Post flush vs. non flush??

I was on 2000 mgs. of non flush niacin with no results. I just do not understand the difference between non flush and slo niacin. I read Dr. Parsons book and started taking the slo niacin as he said- 500 mgs 2 times a day. I hsve developed a terrible headache and I am pretty sure it is from these. I have had not flushs at all. I never got a headache from the non flush. So, please, can you tell me what is the equivalent of the non flush to the regular niacin. Maybe, I need to take more non flush to help me. They seem to agree with me and I would like very much to ocntinue them if they will help me. It really is my last option for help. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 03:15 AM   #2
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Regarding Niacin for high cholesterol, it is the Flush Niacin that lowers cholesterol. I don't think the others will do much good. With the Flush Niacin you have to start VERY slowly, like 1/4 tab for 5 days, then 1/2 tab for 5 days, etc. eventually building up to 500mgs. 2 times a day. A doctor should be able to give you the correct dosages . You will still get a little flushing this way but very tolerable.
I have been doing Flush Niacin for years and have manged to keep my overall Cholesterol down and my HDL high.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 06:28 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Sarah,

Also remember there are people who will NEVER be able to take niacin because of the flush factor. I prefer to think of it as the "being crucified without a cross" factor.
Purple blotches from forehead to naval, swollen lips, wheezing- pinpricks all over face, PANIC....and THIS from 250 mg.

Even several trials working up from 25 mg doses didn't work because I "hit the wall" every time I got to 100.

I tried to give my 500 mg. pills away (BIG BOTTLE) with the proviso to try it but give the bottle back if you hate the stuff.

I still have the bottle

Old 06-09-2003, 12:16 PM   #4
(female)

momofmany HB User
Does the timed release niacin work at all? And will it cause flushing?

Old 06-09-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
(female)

momofmany HB User
Hi,
Does the timed-release niacin work? And will it cause flushing?

Old 06-09-2003, 03:10 PM   #6
(male)

sunbird_owner HB User
The time release is actually supposed to be more
effective:

(from doctoryourself.com/hoffer_cardio.html)

Derivatives of niacin have been examined for their ability to alter lipid levels as well as niacin. It would be advantageous if the niacin vasodilation (flush) were eliminated or removed. The main disadvantage of the niacin derivatives will be cost. Inositol hexanicotinate is an ester of inositol and niacin. In the body it is slowly hydrolyzed releasing both of these important nutrients. The ester is more effective than niacin in lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels, Abou El-Enein, Hafez, Salem and Abdel (1983). I have used this compound, Linodil, available in Canada but not the U.S.A. (at the time this paper was written) for thirty years for patients who can not or will not tolerate the flush. It is very gentle, effective, and can be tolerated by almost every person who uses it.

Closed Thread