It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2003, 02:33 PM   #1

scuttlebutt99 HB User
Post Low ratio- High total, good or bad?

Although my ratio appears to be low level risk, my doctor believes I need to curtail my intake of high cholestoral foods notwithstanding my ratio. My doctor states that the scientific community is now trending towards focusing on high LDL as in and of itself also harmful even when HDL levels are high. I have found nothing on the internet to coincide with that finding. Has anybody heard or read of this lately?

Here are my blood results:

Total Cholesterol 289
Hdl 103
LDL 173
Triglic. 65

Cholesterol/ HDL Ratio - 2.8

I am age 53, below normal weight. I have Crohn's Disease but am in remission.

I like eggs, cheese and other protein. Do I really need to change my diet?

Any help would be appreciated.

My problem seems to be unusual.

Scuttlebutt99

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
Scuttle:

I tend to disagree with your doctor. I had low LDL, low HDL and high triglycerides, and still had a heart attack at age 35. Point is: Low LDL surely did not save me there. I tend to believe, based on the research and the reading I have done that its more related to ratios of total/HDL and triglycerides/HDL. The key factor in the equation is the HDL.

Your triglycerides are phenomenal, as is your HDL. Sure your LDL is out of the norm range, but when you have a 100 plus HDL, that will offset it (based on what I have read).

I have felt for some time that is based on the whole equation, and that ratios are important, so for example, your LDL of 173 and HDL of 102 would equate to someone with LDL of 87, HDL of 52, and TG of 33, and no doctor would make any noise over results like that. The problem is that you fall outside the norm of their readings. Another poster on here has above 100 HDL (Arizona73) and he may provide you with some input also.

To be quite honest, I would be happy with your results. The current research, as best as I can tell, is pointing towards LDL being less of an independent risk factor, rather than what your doctor is saying to you.

Ulrich

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #3

scuttlebutt99 HB User
Ubernier:

Thanks. I have done extensive research on the Internet and it appears that the ratio is still the most accurate barometer of high cholesterol.

You appear to be a frequent contributor to this forum and very knowledgeable in this arena. So I am thankful for your response and in easing my mind.

Scuttlebutt99

Old 08-27-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
scuttlebutt,

I totally agree with ubernier. In your particular case, it is the ratios which far outweigh any given number value. Your ratios aren't just good, they're excellent! TC/HDL should be less than 4. Yours is 2.8.
LDL/HDL should be no higher than 2.5. Yours is 1.7. IDEALLY, and probably most important of all, your triglyceride/HDL ratio should be close to 1. Yours is 0.63. In my opinion, with your very high HDL and low triglyceride levels, total cholesterol and LDL becomes far less of an issue. So, in your case, I wouldn't worry about it, since the high HDL will offset an elevated LDL, as well as a higher total cholesterol level.

P.S. I wouldn't change your diet, either.

[This message has been edited by ARIZONA73 (edited 08-27-2003).]

Closed Thread