It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2003, 01:57 PM   #1

LennyS HB User
Question Pravachol and memory loss - Permanent?

I've just become aware that statins can cause memory loss and a bright light went off over my head. Hey, maybe that's why I'm having to write things down on the palm of my hand!

Seriously, I have been experiencing mild memory problems for some time, but just put the condition down to advancing age. But just recently, Dr Sanjay Gupta on CNN's morning show brought up the topic of statins and memory problems and I started investigating.

I have been taking 10 mg of Pravachol for over a year now. I understand that some physicians advocate a dose of 2 mg.

What has been the experience of people on this list that had there dose reduce by such an amoung? After reducing dosage, did your memory improve?

I think we need to ask pharma some direct questions about this topic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2003, 10:20 PM   #2

Zapot HB User
My husband and I were both put on Pravocal for cholestral lowering when it first came out and hailed a wonder. We experienced such bad leg pains we both had to go off it. Not long after this and this would be a couple of years ago now it came out that it was not the wonder drug they first thought.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 08:09 PM   #3

Eagle1 HB User
I took Lipitor for only two months over a year ago. Lipitor and and Pravacol are both essentially the same medication. I experienced severe memory loss that got much better within days of stopping. Unfortunately now after over two years the symptoms have not completely disapeared. Now, I still show decreased blood flow in some areas of my brain and have been given a not so encouraging disgnosis. I was fortunate to have some disability insurance that has paid me a partial disability benefit for over two years, and very well might have to continue to age 65. This is a suposedly known side effect, but I haven't found a doctor yet who had ever heard of it. There is a published study that concluded that EVERY user of Statins has some loss of cognitive ability. It does hit some of us harder. There is more information on this that will be coming out within the next year. I have been able to have a couple of long conversations with one of the leading researchers.

Closed Thread