It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
(male)

mahan HB User
Lipitor Vs Zorcor

For the same mg value, say 20 mg, which is more effective in reducing cholesterol level - Zorcor or Lipitor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User
Re: Lipitor Vs Zorcor

The effectiveness is going to vary from person to person. In general, however, 10 mg. of Lipitor is roughly equivalent to 20 mg of Zocor.

I had awful constipation with Zocor; none with Lipitor. 40 mg. of Zocor did not get my numbers where my cardiologist wanted, so I'm on 40 mg of Lipitor (which is actually a higher dose) and they are where they are supposed to be.

Zocor is now available as a generic, Lipitor is not; so cost may be a factor in the decision for some people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
(male)

idunno HB User
Re: Lipitor Vs Zorcor

Unfortunately statins just don't work for some people, I have been on max doses of all of the statins including crestor. The one that was working best for me was 80mg of pravachol combined with 10mg of ezetrol. It got my comb chol down to 5.8 (aust measure 3.5 is the "normal" range).
Unfortunately it started effecting my muscles and they found serious amounts of CPK in my blood from muscle breakdown. I was put onto 80 mg pravachol my chol rose to 7.1. Still had CPK. Went off all statins 3 weeks ago . Last weeks blood test showed chol at 9.1. All I am on now is 3000 mg of fish oil.
Lipitor and crestor left me fuzzy and confused at high dose. High doses of zocor caused me chest pains . Low doses of pravachol had no noticible side effects but did little to lower my cholesterol. I am under a nephrologist now for kidney problems and he has told me he will be dealing with my cholesterol as well. HOW I don't know!

Closed Thread