It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 03:45 PM   #1

hanratty HB User
Post IS 297 a high CPK for muscle enzymes test (lipitor)?

Hi,
Is 297 an abnormally high CPK test for muscle enzymes in regards to lipitor? I contacted my doctor and said I felt pretty tired and weak so he drew some more blood and said my levels were high and please discontinue. That was a little over a month ago. I thought the only blood enzyme test they did was for the liver enzymes which were fine. Then they should always doboth tests for people going on this stuff to amke sure they aren't poisoning themselves. I felt really weak and fatigued and sore joints and still do quite frankly. I called recently for the results and the nurse said the cpk or ck was 297. I though she got it wrong first cause I thought that was my overall cholesterol reading. Could that be right? As of 6 weeks I feel a little better with a little more energy, but my hands and feet have felt as though the nerves weren't all there, like the circulation wasn't as good or something and I don't feel my extremities quite 100%. Today was the first day my feet felt pretty good,like they were completely in my shoes and my hands circulation was pretty normal. Could this be from the lipitor? I am confused as I am also 66 days cold turkey off of nicotine after smoking 30+ years, and also am feeling vestiges of anxiety and panic dosorder that I went on meds for about 8 years ago start to manifest their little symptoms, nothing fullblown, just have had floaty,kind of nervous, nauseous feelings that come and go, kind of hard to explain if you haven't had them. But the hand and feet thing us new to meand the only thing I could think of was could the lipitor have made my hands and feet numb for over a month?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
hanratty,

I really can't comment on the CPK number, but what I can tell you is that statin drug usage has been linked to peripheral neuropathy. This is a painful disorder which causes numbness and tingling in the hands and feet. Fortunately you brought this matter to your doctor's attention, and he instructed you to stop taking the Lipitor. So yes, there is a definite link between the Lipitor and the symptoms you are experiencing. I hope that you did not wait too long to report this to your doctor, and I do hope that you are able to recover fully. Good luck to you.

Old 10-15-2003, 05:19 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User
hanratty,

You might find this report interesting. [url="http://www.hospital-consult-pda.com/PDAima66.htm"]http://www.hospital-consult-pda.com/PDAima66.htm[/url]
It seems you 297 is higher than normal:
Quote:
An average CPK reading is 10 to 150. Dr. Lind reports that an average reading for a runner after WS is 17,000, that a reading of 25,000 to 50,000 is indicative of possible kidney failure, while a reading of 100,000 is a very dangerous signal.
I'm scanning around for some numbers on the CPK (my doc said mine are ok with lipitor (but I don't have the numbers til I go in for my flu shot) but I came accross this interesting Baycol workup.
Guy had shoulder pain:

Quote:
TSH was 1.259, AST of 736, ALT 444, alkaline phosphatase of 53, GGTP22. CPK was 26,940. ESR 18U/A: 3+ blood, 0 rbc. Otherwise unremarkableHOSPITAL COURSE:The patient was admitted for hydration and alkylinization of his urine.Baycol was stopped. His peak CPK was 55,000. After 3-4 days his symptomsbegan to resolve, and eventually his transaminases and CPK returned to normal. His creatinine remained within the normal range
Apparently the really dangerous levels of CPK are QUITE high!

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 10-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 10-15-2003).]

Old 11-21-2003, 12:14 PM   #4

cmehta03 HB User
Re: IS 297 a high CPK for muscle enzymes test (lipitor)?

I currently have a CPK level of about 2200. When I took this test I had not worked out for about a week. Anyways this is from what I understand high. I am normally very active, and work out atleast 5 times a week, but as I said when I took this test I let my body rest for a week, and it was still high. DOes anyone have any adivice for me

Old 11-21-2003, 02:51 PM   #5
(male)

darock_sayz HB User
Re: IS 297 a high CPK for muscle enzymes test (lipitor)?

Mine was about 297 on 20MG lipitor and was having the aches and pains. Took Crestor for a while and pains continued, went off Crestor for 4 days and CPK dropped to 80! Doc and me decided to go back to 10 mg lipitor (plus renewed enthusiasm for diet changes and maybe some fish oil to boot!) At 10 mg did not feel these pains, will test CPK soon to see if levels go back to normal range or need to try something else.

Closed Thread