It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
(female)

SPORT46 HB User
Unhappy Zocor & memory loss/foggy

I recently started Zocor (only 5mg) High chol. is genetic for me. I eat well / exercise & am slim. Anyway, my chol. was 240 and i got it down to 207 (total) & 4.8 ratio by eatting even better- cut out cheese & less sat. fats. Still high borderline. So started on Zocor 10mg & it made me a bit fatiqued/foggy. That lasted only 2 days. Then went on 5mg. I've only been on it a week now! I'm forgetting things. At work today... people's names I know by heart... now I'm scrambling to remember their names and doing computer lookups for their names.... Maybe if I should stop the zocor. 207 is not so bad, right? I don't know anymore... i had wanted to get it down in the normal range. Any & all advice is appreciated. Thanks, Michelle (48)

Last edited by SPORT46; 01-20-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User
Re: Zocor & memory loss/foggy

To me, if your cholesterol is down to 207, you should not even be taking a statin drug.. That is MY opinion. I personally try to keep mine around 250, that is where I feel the best, any lower and I start feeling really bad. My doctor told me at 228 just to keep doing what I was doing, he was happy with those numbers. My daughters were about the same and her doctor told her the same thing.

The memory problems was the main thing that woke me up as to what statin drugs were doing to me (It took a lawyers TV ad to wake me up to what was causeing my memory prolems) . Soon as I quit them, the fog I had been living in for so long lifted and I didn't even realize I was living in a fog until it lifted. I didn't realize statin drugs were causing me so many problems until I quit them.. LOL! I went from having a big bag of pills to get through every day to NONE when I quit that one drug! I went from being almost on disability to having a normal life again.

I tell my kids that if I drop dead tomorrow of a heart attack, at least I remember who they are til the end..... (I do not think I will drop dead though)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
(male)

c4yourself HB User
Exclamation Re: Zocor & memory loss/foggy

I had memory problems with Simvastatin (generic for Zocor) also to the point that I forgot where I was while driving. My memory returned to normal within two weeks of stopping the Simvastatin. My Dr. explained that cholesterol does not cross the brain barrier. Therefore the brain makes its own cholesterol and that even though your blood cholesterol may be high, the level in your brain may be normal. The statin does cross the brain blood barrier and can lower cholesterol in the brain to a point that it is to low for the brain to function correctly.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

There are two types of statins:

All Statins are fat-soluble with the exception of Pravachol and Crestor which are water soluble.

Research so far has shown that Water soluble statins do NOT cross the 'blood brain barrier'.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 09-06-2010 at 12:06 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to yackedar For This Useful Post:
UTVOL06 (09-08-2011)
Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

c4yourself- My memory started improving within 24 hours of skipping that first pill and I too, did the confused driving thing. It was like I would loose time while driving and pass up my exit or turn and not realize it until 15 minutes later and I would get even more confused because nothing looked like it should. I ran stop signs while looking right at them. Almost hit a lady one day while looking right at her but not connecting my car and her in my head. I am just lucky I didn't kill somebody else or myself.

It REALLY makes me wonder how many accidents are cause by these drugs. Think about it! Airline pilots, truck drivers, school bus drivers... ALL accidents waiting to happen like I was..

Old 09-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
(male)

UTVOL06 HB User

Correct. Pravachol, crestor, and fluvastatin are not fat soluble. only problem is neither pravachol nor fluvastatin lower LDL very much, but have less side effects usually.

lipitor, lovastatin, and zocor are fat soluble.

Closed Thread