It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
(male)

alne2d HB User
Red Rice Yeast - Does it still work?

According to numerous web sites, almost all the Red Rice Yeast that is legally available has pretty much no cholesterol-lowering benefit whatsoever because supposedly the FDA has made the companies that make it remove the active ingredient that is like a statin (Lovastatin). It sounds like from what I read, that the only ones that stil work are few that the FDA hasn't yet banned or forced to remove any statin-like ingredient.

However, I see in other sites, including this forum, talking about how it does lower cholesterol, and that it works like a statin. I don't get it.
Are a lot of people buying it from overseas companies to get around the FDA, or is it possible that some people are just buying the stuff without the Lovastatin (or whatever the correct name for it is), and just imagining that it's lowering their cholesterol? I'm very confused about that whole thing.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Last edited by alne2d; 02-02-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Red Rice Yeast - Does it still work?

It lowered my cholesterol and in just 3 weeks. I wasn't just imagining this, the test proved it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

Red Yeast Rice still does work, but I'd avoid cheap store brands.

What appears to have happened is that the government cracked down on red yeast rice suppliers who were artificially raising the percentage of monocolin K (lovastatin) in their products.

But you can still get red yeast rice with natural levels of the monoclin K. But be careful which brands you choose, as some contain citrinin, which I think can cause some kidney problems.

Nature's Plus makes a good red yeast rice product, from what I've read. I've tried Thorne's red yeast product, and it also seems good.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
(male)

alne2d HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
It lowered my cholesterol and in just 3 weeks. I wasn't just imagining this, the test proved it.
I was wondering if you could mention the brand that you are using. I would like to try it if it does contain the active ingredient to reduce cholesterol.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschichler View Post
I was wondering if you could mention the brand that you are using. I would like to try it if it does contain the active ingredient to reduce cholesterol.
cholesteRice by Bluebonnet

Old 02-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
(male)

daveusmc HB User

The FDA so called banned three companies [won't list them here] from what I understand because they patended certain compounds in RYR. Others still exist. That's all you need to know!
Even Cholest-Out had to remove some ingredients from their product. Still on the shelf and still works for some folks.
So the companies just reword their labeling for the dietary aid point of view to satisft FDA folks, and hoping they won't challenge the companies product by sending it to a lab and conducting tests on it.
RYR works still, but not as well as Statins do. And if they work for you like a Statin, good for you. You still have side effects for the most part.
Don't get confused with what FDA reports and what you read on some websites. It's all B.S. anyhow.
RYR has never been taken off the shelf ,contrary to the crap some of us, including myself, have read.
Talk with your local Herbalist or a doctor who practices Holistic Medicine and they will tell you the same. Don't assume anything!
I take Natures Plus or Cholestene <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-25-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
(male)

alne2d HB User

Thanks for the info, Dave.
I have a cholesterol test in March, so if it's still higher than it should be (over 200), I might add RYR to my regimen. Or is that RRY?

Closed Thread