It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

jwood HB User
Over the counter suggestions?

Does anyone know what to take OTC for high cholesterol and high triglycerides? I can't take any of the medications. Those has caused my muscles are great deal of discomfort.

So far, dr has recommended red yeast rice and fish oil. Other suggestions to lower cholesterol?

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-09-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Over the counter suggestions?

To lower LDL:

Avoid trans-fats from hydrogenated oils.
Avoid saturated fats from red meat and dairy products (choose lean meat and skim dairy).
Replace with unsaturated fats (non-hydrogenated, from fish and vegetable sources other than coconut or palm oil).
Lose excess body fat.

To lower triglycerides:

Avoid sugar and alcohol.
Lose excess body fat.
Eat fatty cold water fish with high omega-3 (DHA and EPA) content. (If you are vegetarian, you can get large amounts of the omega-3 ALA from flax oil, and smaller amounts from some other plant fats like walnuts, but the conversion from ALA to DHA and EPA in the human body is not that efficient.)

To raise HDL:

Increase exercise.
Avoid trans-fats from hydrogenated oils.

Red yeast rice naturally contains a compound that is the same as lovastatin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
(female)

shine4u HB User

Hi Jwood,

I was unwilling to take the meds my doctor recommended..tricor. My family history includes a long line of kidney disease, which tricor can affect kidney function. Instead, I have made some changes-namely more exercise (joined the gym again and go 4 times a week), and I have changed my diet to cut back drastically on drinking wine. I also have cut out alot of wheat products and carbs and replaced them with mostly oat or gluten free products. In addition, I am taking a bevy of vitamins, including alot of omega 3's, garlic, chromium, pantethine, gugulpids (herb), calcium, chromium piclionate, no flush niacin, vitamin e, a multi vitamin. I just researched on my own to find what I think will work..plus some suggestions from others on this site. You need to find some therapy that works for you.

I have had no issues with any side effects from the vitamins, and feel great (but then high cholesteral and triglycerides has no symtoms really). My trigs in Feb were 363 and my LDL 248. I am going to go and have my blood work done again at the beginning of May to see if my regimin has helped.

You might also want to read my blog here..it is under the high triglycerides health board "help I am confused about High Triglycerides..." there have been a number of helpful suggestions by other members on the health boards.

Good luck,
shine4u

Old 04-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Does anyone know what to take OTC for high cholesterol and high triglycerides? I can't take any of the medications. Those has caused my muscles are great deal of discomfort.

So far, dr has recommended red yeast rice and fish oil. Other suggestions to lower cholesterol?
Sounds like a great doctor! RYR will lower LDL, Fish oil will lower Triglycerides (I take Krill oil), FLush Niacin will raise HDL.

Closed Thread