It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
(male)

txdave35 HB User
Cholesterol Test After a Meal - Worthless?

I went to the doctor for some blood tests, and asked them to go ahead and test my cholesterol. I tend to eat a high fat diet, although not much fast food or fried stuff so I was expecting it to be high.

I was floored by the results. It was over their scale of 500. I felt like I was going to die. However, I did eat lunch an hour before the test so I'm hoping that this messed up the results.

I saw on ABC a story where a healthy person ate just one single high fat meal, and their blood immediately showed fat temporarily. Could this be why I got such high results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Cholesterol Test After a Meal - Worthless?

You should fast for 12 hours before a cholesterol test in order to get accurate results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

Definitely get retested after fasting.

Trigs are probably most influenced by not fasting, while LDL can be off somewhat.

My doc once tested me in the office, where I didn't fast beforehand (as I didn't expect a blood draw that day). My trigs were about 30% higher than fasting levels, while my LDL was about 10% higher. HDL should be about the same.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It can impact it but there is no way to tell how much without a fating one. Have it done again when you've fasted properly. Then you'll know. I would suspect though that it is high anyway...just not that high.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
(male)

txdave35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessme View Post
Definitely get retested after fasting.

Trigs are probably most influenced by not fasting, while LDL can be off somewhat.

My doc once tested me in the office, where I didn't fast beforehand (as I didn't expect a blood draw that day). My trigs were about 30% higher than fasting levels, while my LDL was about 10% higher. HDL should be about the same.
Crazy thing is they said my HDL was 0. WOuldn't I be dead? I bought a cardiochek meter last night and it read my total cholesterol as 150 which makes me feel a lot better. I've been feeling like I could die any day since that damn test.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

If they used some in-office testing equipment, I'd suspect it was inaccurate. If they sent to a regular lab... the result is very odd.

Anyway, I suggest you retest after fasting, ideally getting a VAP test. It's much more accurate than a standard lipid test, and I see no reason for your doctor to object, seeing as they recorded such a high number to begin with. Probably worthwhile to throw in a C-reactive protein, homocysteine, glycated hemoglobin and vitamin D levels too.

Closed Thread