It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
(male)

juan motime HB User
"Cholesterol Hoax" -- a review

I just finished reading the book The Cholesterol Hoax by Dr. Sherry Rogers. My reaction is very mixed.

On the plus side, the authorís citations from some of the most highly respected medical journals are indisputable.

In several parts, she cites material from the American Journal of Cardiology that depicts studies that show statins and other medications are either harmful, useless, or of negligible benefit.

Throughout the book, she wonders aloud if the 90% of the U.S. cardiologists who subscribe to this journal ever bother to read it. Ditto for JAMA, which is the source of many studies that support her beliefs.

I also have to say that overall, she convincingly presents her arguments, and I am convinced that statins do much more harm than good. I have made many notes from her writings and will take them with me to my next cardiologist appoint in three weeks.

As well written and valuable as this book is, there are numerous reasons to question the way she says you should correct your problems.

First, and most glaring, was her endless and utterly shameless self-promotion of her other books and her monthly newsletter. Had the bookís editor deleted all of this dead weight from the manuscript, the book would have been 80 pages shorter.

I also wonder why she made the following conflicting arguments throughout. She essentially said high cholesterol doesnít matter and that it doesnít need to be treated, and then spent most of the book telling you how to lower it.

Before I was halfway through the book, I lost count of all the supplements and liquids she recommended. Even if every capsule and oil she said to take was practical both economically and with no contraindications, who could possibly take them all? Or even half of them?

Another repeatedly suspicious assertion was her brand-name promotion of Carlsonís products. She says that their products have more pure elements in them than other brands, but never states how she came to these conclusions. Did she test them against other brands? If so, which ones? Does she have a vested interest in the company?

Plus, she never mentions even the remote possibility of side effects from some of the supplements she promotes, even though many people who post in various public forums (such as this one) have side effects from them.

Like all other material I read on the subject of high cholesterol, I will take from this book that which I believe makes sense, and dismiss the either unconvincing or very questionable parts.

Still, overall, the book is worth reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User
Re: "Cholesterol Hoax" -- a review

I haven't read the book, but thanks for posting information about it. The concept that cholesterol doesn't actually promote heart disease isn't really as uncommon as once thought. Recent studies, such as the one with Zetia, shows simply moving cholesterol numbers down doesn't necessarily equate with less heart disease risk.

I personally feel cholesterol is probably a marker, not a cause. And particle sizes are of much more importance than particle number.

Unless it's oxidized cholesterol... which could possibly be a cause. That one isn't talked about as much.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan motime View Post
In several parts, she cites material from the American Journal of Cardiology that depicts studies that show statins and other medications are either harmful, useless, or of negligible benefit.

Throughout the book, she wonders aloud if the 90% of the U.S. cardiologists who subscribe to this journal ever bother to read it. Ditto for JAMA, which is the source of many studies that support her beliefs.
Remember, though, that there are huge numbers of studies, and some of them come to different or contradictory conclusions compared to others. On a topic where the studies disagree, you could make what seems to be a fairly convincing argument either way, by referencing only those studies that match up with the point you are arguing. This does not just apply to someone trying to sell books; drug companies are not likely to continue funding studies that they fund if the study finds that their drugs are ineffective.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
(male)

Imacarbuff HB User
Cool Re: "Cholesterol Hoax" -- a review

I think for many of us it comes down to this-if your body can process statins without causing numerous side-effects, they may do you some good. Everyone is different and our systems change in many ways as we age. What we can tolerate at age 30 may not work for us when we hit 40 and so on. I personally feel that statins cause many more side effects than most doctors will admit to. Big pharma and the sales reps I'm sure make it all sound pretty good and I think they all start off with a dose that is too high. I think when your doctor says "we are going to start you off at 20mg or 40 mg (depending on what statin is being recomended )" is done so becuase it was recomended to them by the sales reps.

I took Lipitor for years with just mild digestive issues. Then, out of the blue, muscle pain, back problems, more serious digestive issues (that my doctor decided was GERD) kicked in. The fatigue was really pronounced and on going. I felt like I was "old"

Complaints to my doctor brought me a prescription to Nexium for the "GERD" and a different statin. This went on for years. I looked bad....a few of my very close friends wondered if perhaps I had cancer...and was becoming very ill-I lost weight.

I took it upon myself to stop taking statins and start trying to feel better. I started taking COQ10 and other vitamins. After a few months, I was feeling better-but certainly not 100% and I wondered if 100% would be attainable.

After about 1 year....I felt really , really good. The heartburn had stopped-so no more Nexium was needed. The muscle pain was gone and my strenght had come back. I was back to myself! It was a long road.....

So, I'm seeing and reading all of the media about high cholesterol .... and since I am feeling great, I figured I'd give pravastatin another try....to drive the number down you know. One month went by and all was well. On the second month....the muscle pains are returning along with the indigestion and general tiredness. Oh no, not again............

For me, the jury is in. Statins are simply not going to work with my current system. The quality of life is worth something. So, I will continue my low-fat diet, I don't smoke and my weight is fine. No family history of cardiac problems, no high blood pressure and my numbers are not that bad.

229 total 129 LDL and 48 HDl at last test OFF statins.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

I too am on lipitor and after reading your post i think i will stop them today. I have had digestive problems,diagnosed with hiatal hernia and when i tell the doctor i've been having these problems since the lipitor he insists to me that it's impossible. I have back problems, of course after the lipitor, diagnosed with spinal stenosis, don't know if it's due to taking the lipitor. I have constant joint pain, you know the aches you get with the flu well i feel like that every day. Recently i have started having aching ribs. What i have been suspecting all along makes more sense now, the lipitor is causing me more problems, i can't eat as i used to because i'm afraid it will trigger pain or discomfort and the joints on my fingers almost feel like i'm a hundred and i'm really not even close.
I will stop the lipitor, i will cut out on everything that i shouldn't eat, dr says i can't bring it down on my own because it's genetic, i believe everything is possible so i will definately try. Thanks for that post it really confirmed my suspicions.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

The pharmacutical companies make billions a year fron statins and they do their own studies on drugs and then submit the doctored results to the FDA for approval .
The best evidence that statins dont work are the books and studies that show no change in death rates of test groups and controls(given placebo)
Depending on demographics, you may actually be more likely to die if you take statins than if you dont

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-13-2009 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Some other books dealing with the inefficacy of statins are
Statin Drugs Side Effects by Duane Graveline MD
Malignant Medical Myths by Joel M Kauffman PhD
The Hidden Truth About Cholesterol Lowering Drugs by Shane Ellison M.Sc

Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Maybe lowering cholesterol artificially is no the same as having naturally low cholesterol anyway . The good news is that there seems to be an negative correlation between high cholesterol and cancer.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-13-2009 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

The drug companies themselves only claim a tiny one percent effect on measures such as cardiac events so is it worth the awful side effects?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy1 View Post
Maybe lowering cholesterol artificially is no the same as having naturally low cholesterol anyway .
Of course, if your blood cholesterol levels are bad (in terms of heart disease risk), you can always try improving them the old fashioned way (cleaning up your diet, increasing exercise, and losing body fat). Such actions tend to be healthy in a lot of other ways as well.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

I got off that stuff (only after the damage was done and I am left to deal with it for the rest of my life) and I changed my whole way of eating and lowered it to a number my doctor is happy with but still considered "High".

I do believe the whole cholesterol thing is a hoax for profit and while it may be the cause of some heart attacks, not everyone needs to be on it and I know not everyone does well with un-naturally low numbers. Statin drugs today are equal to yesterdays tobacco scam. Doctors use to recommend smoking too.

Closed Thread