It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
(female)

gazbar81 HB User
is red yeast rice safe to take

I bought over the counter red yeast rice
Is is safe to take

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: is red yeast rice safe to take

I took it for a year and definitely lowered my LDL but it is a statin, as many here have been saying. I recently stopped taking RYR and instead am taking a combination of amino acids, which are supposedly also effective in lowering LDL but without the side effects of the statin and statin type products.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
(male)

guy in AU HB User

I thought the FDA had forced them to stop selling the one that had naturaly occuring lovarstatin in it?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

I bought some one time, came home and looked up the side effects (same as any other statin) and took it right back to the store for a refund.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

The extracts from RYR contain starch, sterols, isoflavones, and monounsaturated fatty acids. Depending on the Monascus strains used and fermentation conditions, it may contain polyketides called monacolins. One of these monacolins is named 'Monacolin K'. Monacolin K was proved to lower LDL cholesterol naturally, so it's chemical structure was artificially copied and named lovastatin.

Despite what has been mentioned in the previous post, the following are the only side effects.
Out of the thousands of participants of numerous controlled studies, only one reported muscle problems and this could be that that person was also taking prescribed medication.
Common side effects are dizziness, low appetite, nausea, stomach-ache and diarrhoea. However, if taken during an evening meal, many of the above can be overcome.

As you are probably aware, the USA FDA banned RYR containing Monacolin K. However, there are thirteen remaining known Monacolins and several of these when combined also reduce LDL, in some cases greater than Monacolin K on it's own.

Last edited by yackedar; 10-02-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Yakedar,

I'm trying to come to a conclusion after reading your post. Are you saying RYR may be o.k. depending on its particular composition? The bottle I have ( but stopped using) lists first among its ingredients Monascus Purpureus. Does this tell you anything?

Thanks,

Jen

Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Hi Jen,

Dietry seasoning chinese red yeast rice preparations are prepared by using Monascus purpureus fermented with rice. This RYR is the most common preparation used. (Monascus purpureus is basically a form of mould.)

This RYR preparation is used by most, but not all herbal manufacturers. One of the unwanted by-products of RYR if not prepared under controlled conditions is a potentially toxic fermentation product called Citrinin. Two readily available, free from Citrinin and proven LDL reduction products are from Nature's Plus and Source Naturals.

AS stated on this board several times over the years, do not buy supermarket brand products as in many cases these do not work, or you may possibly be poisoning yourself.

A standardized formula should contain a minimum 1.5% total monacolins.

Hope the above helps.

Last edited by yackedar; 10-04-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Yackedar,

Thanks for this info. I never buy supermarket anything ... unless it's a health food supermarket.

So the brands you mentioned - Nature's Plus and Source Natural - are free from the offending Citrinin, but they still have the statin component of monacolins, which I think I'm trying to avoid. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks for your help with this!

Jen

Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
(male)

Jen,

No, they do not contain Monacolin K, so in effect, no statins.
As far as I am aware, none of the thirteen other known monacolins' have yet been fully studied by drug manufacturers, so have to date not been artificially replicated.

Two years ago my wife had a total cholesterol reading of 325, and her GP wanted her immediately on Lipitor, which she refused. After many months of research, we decided to try 600mg of Natures' Plus RYR along with a few herbs and 100mg of CoQ10 daily. After three months her TC came down to 193.5 and has since not gone above 212.

However, it is not the readings alone that one should go by, but as I have mentioned before, the TC/HDL and LDL/HDL ratios. Her ratios are currently well under control.

Your choice Jen.

Last edited by yackedar; 10-04-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Many thanks again, Yakedar!

Jen

Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
(male)

Your welcome.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User
Re: is red yeast rice safe to take any updates????

Been reading about the red yeast rice here and am wondering if there are any followups or updates?

Success?

Failure?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

If red rice years contains the active lovarstatin, then it is as safe as any other statin, no more, no less

If it doesnt contain the active lovarstatin, it is very safe, but also useless.

You can get statins for $4 per month at most chain pharmacies - spend your month on a low dose os simvastatin or pravastatin instead of health food junk that may or may not work

Old 03-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
If red rice years contains the active lovarstatin, then it is as safe as any other statin, no more, no less If it doesnt contain the active lovarstatin, it is very safe, but also useless.You can get statins for $4 per month at most chain pharmacies - spend your month on a low dose os simvastatin or pravastatin instead of health food junk that may or may not work
Health food junk!? I have found, over many, many years of vitamin and herbal supplementation that quality does make a difference. Look at the fillers used in some of the cheaper brands of vitamins. Personally, I rather not have those things in my system.

Regarding RYR, there have been discussions concerning this issue on this board. Some of the brands have fewer monacolins (which I believe is the same as lovastatins, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong) than others; Nature's Plus being one of those brands (with less monacolins).

As for them not working, my LDL has lowered since using RYR.

Jen

Old 03-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
If red rice years contains the active lovarstatin, then it is as safe as any other statin, no more, no less

If it doesnt contain the active lovarstatin, it is very safe, but also useless.
Hi Johnstar,

May I suggest that you do some thorough research into RYR. It should only take a couple of months reading the 190+ study results, and believe me your view of RYR will soon change.

ps. What is lovarstatin?

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 03-18-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Closed Thread