It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
Red Yeast Rice is as effective as Pravachol in latest research study

In the latest research study which compares Red Yeast Rice to Pravachol,
data showed that red yeast rice was as well tolerated as pravastatin and achieved clinically significant levels of LDL-cholesterol reduction in a population with previous statin intolerance. The authors said that if red yeast rice was properly regulated to control for potential contaminants and regulate consistency between different manufacturers, red yeast rice may represent an option for these difficult-to-treat patients. The Doctor's in the study said that in the real world, statin-associated myopathy and myalgia is a common and difficult problem for clinicians.
The article also emphasized the fact that pravachol and red yeast rice were also the same in regard to side effects. Almost no muscle related side effects in both groups. The dosage was red yeast rice 2400 mg twice daily in patients who previously discontinued at least one statin, other than pravastatin, because of muscle pain. The studies conclusion were that after 12 weeks of treatment, red yeast rice reduced LDL-cholesterol levels 30% from baseline, from 181 mg/dL to 126 mg/dL, while pravastatin reduced LDL-cholesterol levels 27%, a nonstatistical difference between treatments. Similarly, there were no significant differences observed in changes in total cholesterol, triglycerides, or HDL-cholesterol levels.

Last edited by ACE28; 01-29-2010 at 12:37 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ACE28 For This Useful Post:
belme1201 (07-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User
Re: Red Yeast Rice is as effective as Pravachol in latest research study

Hi Ace,

This just reiterates what has been proven over and over in the just under two hundred other RYR studies carried out over the years. (This study was using a high dose of RYR though, but I suppose that depended on the monacolin content used.)

The American study prior to this one proved that a combination of red yeast rice and fish oil outperformed simvastatin, (the generic version of Zocor).

Yack-e-Dar

Last edited by yackedar; 01-29-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

The only concern is finding a safe and proven RYR product. Many brands were found to be adulterated and contain harmful contaminants. The variation from brand to brand and the non FDA approval makes them somewhat risky to take at the higher doses necessary. Red Yeast Rice can also cause myalgia and muscle damage at higher doses according to many naturopathic doctors. Mevacor and Pravachol are probably the safest statins to be taking because they are "natural statins" derrived from red yeast. Though part synthetic, they are somewhat different than Lipitor and Zocor. Keep in mind that Red Yeast Rice is Mevacor. (derrived from Red Yeast Rice). When Merck Pharm. attained the Patent to market Mevacor/Red Yeast Rice, this patent restricted and prohibited the sale of Red Yeast Rice and the necessary ingredients to be sold in this country. When the ban was lifted, Red Yeast Rice was sold with a variance of the necessary ingredients. Perhaps this explains the adulterated ingredients, especially among unethical Vitamin manufacturers.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-29-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Here is a list of safe and fully tested RYR products on sale in the USA, as documented by an independent USA laboratory, Consumer Lab.

ConsumerLab released the results of their tests on ten brands of RYR.
Products by Solaray, Natural Balance, and VegLife contained levels of lovastatin within the range that the FDA considers naturally occurring and safe.

What is really concerning is that the potential kidney toxin, citrinin, was found in 4 of the products — the 3 listed above and Walgreens. I've read that members of this board are taking a couple of the above brands. So at least, they have been warned.

None of the products contained lead, and the monacolin content ranged from one to ten. (Fourteen to date are known.)

The remaining tested products were from 21st Century, Cholestene, Chole-sterin, Healthy America, Nature’s Plus, and Schiff.
Across the 10 products, levels of monacolins per pill ranged from 0.3 mg up to 10.6 mg.

Last edited by yackedar; 01-29-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks for the RYR information Yack...For now I'm taking 10 mg. of pravachol with no side effects with pretty good results. I also take 2,000 - 3,000 mg of Niacin, and 1,000 mg of Lovaza (prescription Fish oil) a day. That's why I like to keep my statin dose very low. If I should need an alternative, I will definitely try Red Yeast Rice.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Yak,

I thought you had mentioned previously that Source Naturals RYR was among the ones recommended - Nature's Plus and Source Naturals. No?

Jen

Old 01-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
(male)

Hi Jen,

No Jen, I did not say it was one of the one's recommended.

I had previously received feedback that the mentioned product works quite well, so named it as an alternative to Nature's Plus, which I have thoroughly checked out the manufacturing process of, prior to letting my wife take it. I had no need to check out the Source Naturals product.

My post actually stated:

"Any RYR product that does not state the full ingredient content should be avoided.
Stick to a manufacture's product that guarantees the absence of Citrinin, and contains a minimum content of 1.5% monacolins.

Try homing in on the 'Source Naturals' RYR product if 'Nature's Plus' cannot be sourced.""

I came across the lab report info just recently and checked it out, so, I was not aware of the Citrinin content of Source Naturals RYR at the time of my post.

Last edited by yackedar; 01-30-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Hi Yak,

Thanks for the clarification.

Here is some info. from the Source Natural bottle:

Source Naturals Red Yeast Rice is citrinin-free and standardized to 1.5% mixed mevinolinic acid monacolins. I no longer have the Nature's Plus bottle but I think it was 1.7% monacolins.

I had already decided to try this after using the Nature's Plus because it is in capsules rather than tablets, which I generally prefer.

Jen

Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 AM   #9
(male)

Hi Jen

Well in that case, Source Naturals must have changed their RYR formula to exclude the Citrinin since the Comsumer Lab report was made public.

Thanks for the update.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 01-31-2010 at 04:41 AM.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

The dosage was red yeast rice 2400 mg twice daily --- Yikes, I just started taking a huge RYR pill at night (extended dose) and it's 600 mg, along with another huge CoQ10, and Niacin. Can't imagine doing 2400mg twice daily of RYR.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Yack,

Some new information:

Source Naturals RYR has now been discontinued.

Like you, I was taking Natures Plus but I notice that, unlike the Source Naturals brand, it does not actually state "no cirtrinin" on the label. I would think that would be disclosed. Any thoughts?

Jen

Closed Thread