It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
"Too low" LDL, VLDL, or total cholesterol?

Is there any consensus about whether there is a level of LDL, VLDL, or total cholesterol that is "too low"? Especially when it is not due to taking cholesterol lowering drugs (which may have undesired effects).

There does not seem to be much on that, probably because it is rare in rich countries (as opposed to high levels, or low levels due to taking cholesterol lowering drugs).

Old 09-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
(female)

pumpkin1436 HB User
Re: "Too low" LDL, VLDL, or total cholesterol?

I really want to hear from people on this too. I am 41, female, with a HDL of 54 and LDL 55. Total 117. Triglycerides 41. My dr. says it is great. Nutritionists say it is terrible and my system is not making enough bile, my hormones are probably depleted. I do not take any cholosterol lowering med. I take adderall for ADD 20mg daily. The only thing I have read on Low LDL is possibaly underlying conditipns. Plenty of info on how to lower high LDL but thats it. Anyone? Anything?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

I have recently read one of the first debates on this subject dated December 2000, entitled: "How low should LDL cholesterol be lowered?" by Sergio Fazio and MacRae F Linton.

Very interesting reading and should answer one of your queries.

Analysis of many studies where TC levels =<3.62 mmol/L (140 mg/dl) are generally considered 'abnormally low'.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 09-05-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yackedar View Post
I have recently read one of the first debates on this subject dated December 2000, entitled: "How low should LDL cholesterol be lowered?" by Sergio Fazio and MacRae F Linton.
However, it seems that it is mostly concerned about lowering LDL with (statin) drugs.

If someone has "naturally" low LDL (or lowered through diet, exercise, and loss of body fat without drugs), is there any level at which that may be a concern?

Similarly, is TC < 3.62 mmol/l or 140 mg/dl "abnormally low" in the context of drugs, or when found in someone who is not taking any drugs that affect cholesterol levels? And is it considered unhealthy ("abnormal" may not necessarily be unhealthy)?

Last edited by tjlhb; 09-05-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Hi TJ

I have in the past read literature suggesting that naturally low levels of LDL and Trigs' do indeed present the problems as I mentioned in one of my recent posts. I dismissed those findings at the time, as I was searching for specific data.

The data that you personally seek does indeed exist on two very well known research websites. All I can suggest is that you commence your own search there.

Sorry

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 09-06-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Closed Thread