It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
(male)

DBishops HB User
Interpreting VAP Results

I know alot of people have been doing this but I'm just really curious about what you guys think about these results.

Total LDL- 70
Total VLDL-14
Total HDL-43
Total Chol- 127
Triglycerides- 48
Total apoB100- 67
Non-HDL Chol- 84
Lp(a)- 6
IDL Chol- 4
LDL-R (Real)-C- 60
Total LDL-C 70

Real-LDL Size Pattern- B
Remnant Lipoproteins 13

ldl4- 18.3
ldl3- 34.3
ldl2- 2.7
ldl1- 4.7

My dad has heart disease and had a stent put in when he was in his forties, hes now in his fifties and has suffered numerous heart attacks... So I'm a little worried about these results especially given I am on BP meds and have anxiety problems... Does the pattern B have much significance in the absence of high triglycerides or excessively low hdl? I eat really well and run about 5 miles a day.

Thanks for any input...

Old 11-04-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
Re: Interpreting VAP Results

It seems to me your results are good. Do you know if your HDL is small pattern? The small pattern is the best particle size of HDL because it's small enough to get into your arteries and keeps the LDL out. Maybe if you have mostly small particle HDL, you will worry less??

At least you could get the VAP, I've had it done, but the docs really didn't want to do it because they never heard of it, I had to insist on it. I have all large particle (non-sticky) LDL (LDL is 176) and mostly small particle HDL (HDL is 80). I told my brother to get the VAP done, and his doctor is telling him she never heard of it and he's cholesterol is only a little high from his last test, so now he thinks he doesn't need the VAP. I get so angry when it comes to these ignorant doctors, suppose his HDL is extremely low and large particle (less protective), and his LDL is high and small particle (less protective) accounting for his cholesterol being a "little high" according to his doc, putting him at risk for heart disease? It seems most docs don't even understand what proper cholesterol analysis entails, but they are always in a hurry to put a patient on statin drugs without offering them proper testing!

Last edited by jacal5; 11-04-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
(male)

oddjob HB User

If you can tolerate it, niacin can correct ldl size and raise your hdl.

Those are good numbers, though. Are you any meds?

Old 12-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBishops View Post
ldl4- 18.3
ldl3- 34.3
ldl2- 2.7
ldl1- 4.7

My dad has heart disease and had a stent put in when he was in his forties, hes now in his fifties and has suffered numerous heart attacks... Does the pattern B have much significance in the absence of high triglycerides or excessively low hdl?
LDL pattern B is considered higher risk than LDL pattern A; you may want to ask your doctor about how it affects your risk, especially given family history.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
(male)

DBishops HB User

Sorry for replying so late, I thought I would be emailed if anyone responded...

I am on meds, which makes me more nervous. I take a beta blocker for my BP which is just sporadic and have been on stimulant medication for ADHD since I was 7. I understand fully the risks of stimulants which is why I am so proactive in regards to my health with the things I can control (i.e. diet, exercise, no smoking etc...). My doctor has suggested niacin a few times but doesn't want to go down that road yet given how low my ldl is and because there haven't been any real end point studies looking to see if the laboratory value of changing the particle size with niacin translates into a clinical one. I worry very much about having ADHD and using stimulants though, but my doctor assures me that the etiology of heart disease really hasn't been linked to these drugs (however its neither been shown to not exist), although it can in certain cases precipitate things such as cardiac vasospasm, etc...

@tjihb- I have asked him, and a cardiologist, they both are kind of clueless about it. I don't blame them, there really haven't been any clinical trials of niacin alone in my particular case (prevention). I think they just hope that my healthy lifestyle (though my bp is regulated with the BB) will give me an edge over my father, although he wasn't exactly unhealthy, just had a bit high cholesterol and triglycerides which somehow prompted a stent when he was 43.

Thanks for the responses, if anyone else wants to share any personal stories or give their two cents please do!

Thanks

Closed Thread