It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2001, 06:30 PM   #1

blessedtwice2001 HB User
Is there a Doctor in the house? cholesterol over 250 for 20 years

Alot is being said about statins. I have been on Lipitor with no obvious side effect. Doc tried me on Zocor and Ihad awful aches from hips down to ankles, so had to stop.

I went back to Endo and he put me on WelChol. Even at 108 lbs back in early 8-'s my cholesterol was 296 and I had been on Weight Watchers diet for 4 months.

It would go down to about 240 and back up. I have dieted much in my life and have walked and done various exercises regimens but go for months without exercise. I have many health problems like Connective Tissue disease, hypothyroidism (which I have learned can contribute to High chol.) hypoglycemia, fibromyalgia, psoriasis, depression and more.

I didn't see WelChol on the list of statins on CNN tonight. I looked it up and I don't fully understand but it says it is not absorbed in the way that would affect liver? Any medical doctor or other informed person, please share. I am taking 6 Welchol tabs a day. (Cholesterol was up to 336 and has been over 300 for two years.)

Old 08-20-2001, 09:19 PM   #2

Oldguy HB User
Re: Is there a Doctor in the house? cholesterol over 250 for 20 years

Hi there,
First off, Cholesterol is not the big killer...it's an indicator that your body is under oxidative stress. It's the reason diabetics have such high numbers, they are among the most oxidatively stressed people there are.
Oxidative stress implies that one is loaded with highly reactive free radicals that damage cell membranes, RNA, DNA, and almost anything there is. Cholesterol is used by the body in the brain, in cell membranes, in myolin sheaths around the nerves, and most important here, as the body's own endogenous antioxidant.
The killers are LDL's and VLDL's and triglycerides. With the presence of free radicals, and high free iron and copper in the serum, they are oxidized and peroxidized. These are the damage makers.

___How about coming back with your total lipid panel and we can work from there....
_________Until then, God bless,
_____________Oldguy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2001, 09:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

I would focus on getting your hypothyroidism under control. High cholesterol, fibro, and depression are symptoms of low thyroid output. Have you been tested for this and are you being treated for it? If so, what are you taking? Taking a cholesterol medication just treats a symptom. You need to fix the root cause of the problem, which may in fact be hypothyroidism.

Alan

Old 08-20-2001, 10:43 PM   #4

smag HB User

This is a great place to start researching your thyroid..... <A HREF="http://home.usaa.net/~wurmstein/" TARGET=_blank>http://home.usaa.net/~wurmstein/</A>

Go to every reference that is posted. I go to the doc tomorrow about this after I got myself educated on the Synthroid. This is a great site! Blessings, Callie

Old 08-20-2001, 11:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Thanks for the thyroid link smag. Just this past month I got my Mom to switch from Synthroid to Armour. She is still adjusting the dosage, but she already feels better.

Alan

Old 08-21-2001, 09:10 PM   #6

smag HB User

Got my prescription for Armour thyroid today...had to go to a country doc to get it...Endocrinologist wouldn't give it to me... said it was an antique drug! If your thyroid is out of whack ..you are dying!!. It can really work havoc on a lipid panel! Hope she got her adrenals checked! Not a one time test in the AM but for an entire day.. A saliva test is better than the serum test.
Blessings and joy!! Callie

Old 08-22-2001, 04:08 PM   #7

blessedtwice2001 HB User

Thanks for your interest and posts. My LDL was 171 7/01; my triglycerides were 342 and my Hdl was 66. My chol/hdl ratio was a decent 4.6. It has been nearly 6 before.

I am on .125 Synthroid and see and Endocrinologist who thinks because my t-3, t-4, tsh are within normal range that I am on adequate dose. He obviously considers nothing but the bloodwork. All of my other symptoms and health problems don't seem to be make any difference...oh, he definitely wants to get my cholesterol down....

I am considering going to see a doc from the good doctor lists under thyroid.about. com. He is mostly a homeopathic doc now. He and his partner were trained in traditional medicine, but studied 5 more years out of the past 7 years about homeopathy.

I am also on 150 mg of Zolfot for depression and obsessive compulsive disorder. I take alot of supplements. I am so exhausted that I can't really motivate myself to follow any one way of eating and thinking about exercise almost makes me want to go to sleep and sleep for the rest of my life.

I am obese at 5'1 and 172 lbs. I have weighed this most of the time since 1997. I lost 30 pounds on low-carb/ high protein and felt energetic during those 4 months. I have tried low-fat, sugar busters, and low-carb again, but I lose a few pounds and the effort overwhelms me. I feel so defeated and realize that my health is really at risk.

I have been having some type of heart "pain" since early July. I have had a ekg, stress test and an echo which all basically were normal. The mild pain comes and goes, but the cardiologist who saw me for the echo didn't seem to have any concern me at all. I look forward to hearing from you Old Guy and anyone else who can help.

Old 08-22-2001, 09:12 PM   #8

smag HB User

Sounds like you need a change from just T3 Synthroid to a desicated thyroid like Armour thyroid that has them all. There is help. You are going to feel sooo much better!!! Go for it soon!

My lab work kits are in the mail as I write this... can hardly wait to get my thyroid fixed if it's not too late. At any rate I know what to take now, so I have very high hopes for a better recovery as they can now treat your adrenls too. All this should lead to a better outcome for insulin resistance and lipid panel readings. Treat the cause and not the symptoms.. right?!?! Symptoms will clear if the cause is eleminated....Yea!!
I have lost 11 lbs. since I started on this no starch diet... I love it and don't feel deprived at all. It is no particular name diet... I read no books...just what Arkie6 and Oldguy said. I feel great.. I know I will feel even better when the thyroid gets fixed. Look out world!! Callie

Old 08-25-2001, 12:18 PM   #9

Pat40 HB User

HI all
My total cholesterol is 257- I take Lipitor and Gemfibrizole - my biggeat problem is my genes.Does anyone know of a vitamin,mineral herb or anything else that may help lower my cholesterol? My good cholesterol is above normal which is good.

Closed Thread