It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2001, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

keren HB User
blood test results - elevated bilirubin

Hey guys,

I recently got back my blood test results via snail mail, and everything seems fine except that i have elevated bilirubin. Does anyone know what bilirubin is and is it bad that it is elevated???

Old 07-25-2001, 07:32 AM   #2

Ken HB User
Re: blood test results - elevated bilirubin

Bilirubin is a component of the digestive juice bile. Bile is produced by the liver.

You will have to ask your doctor what your reading means in your case, but the purpose of measuring this is to determine any obstruction to the bile outflow, liver damage and/or excessive breakdown of your red blood cells from which bilirubin is made.

Ken

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2001, 08:57 PM   #3

Oldguy HB User
Re: blood test results - elevated bilirubin

Hi Karen,
You're going to have to work with your doctor on this one. Bilirbin is the pigment that gives you jaundice, a yellow grey pallor. If you havent got this, then it can't be way too high. There are two types; conjugated, which is water soluble and excreted by the kidneys, and unconjugated, which is tightly bound to albumin, and constitutes (I think) about 80 or 90% of the total bilirubin in your blood serum. It is either taken up by the liver, or excreted in the feces. If the test was made from your urine, I believe they use the 10% rule to figure your serum content. This can lead to innacuracy. Your serum bilirubin should be between 0.3-1.0mg/dl (5 to 17 umol/liter) according to my old school papers.. I'll check it out in my books, but if I don't come back, this is correct. (It's been so long ago that I'm having many senior moments and I really haven't enough time to review it at present.) This can be trouble by infection such as hepatitis A or B, excess alcohol, a bug, or biliary obstruction. The obstruction can be checked by CAT or ultrasound or even by elevated phosphatase (I forget which one). If its alky, a bug, or any cell damage that prevents the liver's takeup of bilirubin, the doc will have a blood series to check aminotransferase elevation and serology (antibodies your body makes against viral infections). From there he'll make his determination. I doubt if it's way too high, but if it were so, it could eventually require a biopsy to type the problem. Maybe nowdays, they have a alternative to this... In any event, this is something to turn over to doctor's care, and not to be put off. I pray the lord just touches you and it goes away... be blessed,
_________________Oldguy

Closed Thread