It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2001, 09:34 AM   #1

chrismth HB User
Olive Oil and triglycerides

Old Guy, I saw a post where you replied that olive oil helps reduce triglycerides. After my trigs started going up, doubling in 2 months after I went on lipitor, I reduced my carbs (and for me that means from excess to recommended amounts, not severe restrictions) AND I replaced all salad dressings (I had been using the "fat free" kind only as I adhered to the low fat, "heart healthy" died) with olive oil and vinegar. I really didn't like it at the beginning but I told myself, this is it, like it or eat the salad with nothing on it. You know, I actually prefer olive oil now.

Do you think that's what reduced my trigs from 400 to 167 in 6 weeks?

CHris

Old 03-27-2001, 10:25 AM   #2
Inactive

rnmcd HB User
Re: Olive Oil and triglycerides

Hi Chris and everyone.

I have been wondering about Olive Oil too.

I have been ingesting about 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (daily) for about 4 months and have not had a change in my triglycerides or HDL.

I weigh about 155 pounds.

I know OldGuy touts Olive Oils benefits. I was just wondering if anyone else has any input?

Thanks, Ron

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2001, 03:58 PM   #3

foggy HB User

Ron--

I started taking a tablespoon of olive oil/day along with soy nuts, PTB and some exercise. My numbers are posted someplace but will be able to share my results after my next ch test that I plan to have done sometime next week.

Maybe nothing good will come of it but I will try a lot before I go on statins.

Foggy

Old 04-03-2001, 09:58 AM   #4
Inactive

rnmcd HB User

Thanks Foggy.

By the way, what is PTB?

-Ron

Old 04-03-2001, 09:52 PM   #5

Oldguy HB User

Hi all,
I don't know where the time goes, but I've been researching some of the finds on diabetes, acne, and high cholesterol, as well as trying to catch up on my house, and work a part time job. First off, I don't really think olive oil is a trigl. lowering agent as much as it is a substitute for a trigl. raising agent. Now this is contrary to what the doctor says on Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. (This is one of the sources I subscribe to.) It's a moot point if it works.
I couldn't help but look at the Acne boards due to their high number of posts, and I was apalled at the depression and loss of self esteem these poor people have, and having had it when I was young, I stuck my big nose in the frey. This is such an old disease that there are 34,756 clinical papers in medline alone concerning it. Several people have written me asking for help, and so I've had to divide my time with my original project...I'm also trying to study some of the affects on diabetes by metallo-organic and inorganic compounds in hopes of finding a means of sensitizing receptors on insulin resistant fat cells. The strangest thing is that acne appears to also include improper lipid metabolism... along the lines of hyperlipidemia and diabetes of one organ...the skin. So if you don't hear from me, it's because I'm immersed temporarily. As long as Arkie, Chris S, BJK, JJ, and some others are still on the board, I don't have to put my two cents in. This board is pretty well informed...God bless you all,
Oldguy

Closed Thread