It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2002, 09:20 PM   #1

redbedhead HB User
Alcohol and High Cholesterol?????

Hi everyone! I am totally new to this board - but there seem to be some very interesting topics!! I found out a few months ago that my cholesterol is 325- and that both the "good" and the "bad" one are terrible. I am 34 yrs. old and a female. I do not eat bad food- at all. I never have. For the past few years I've drank a lot of alcohol. a LOT. I've been to rehab-it's been that bad. I have gained weight from the alcohol- all the sugar. My food diet has remained almost fat free and lower calorie- that is how I know the weight gain is from the alcohol- plus I never had a weight problem before I started drinking. I asked my Dr. if the alcohol could be causing the high cholesterol. He just said it is possible, but he is a my new doctor, and I don't feel comfortable enough with him to tell him about my alcoholism. Has anyone experienced elevated cholesterol due to drinking excessively? Thanks so much for any advice!

Old 05-08-2002, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: Alcohol and High Cholesterol?????

Hello, I'm not a heavy drinker, so I don't really know either. I think it sounds like the key is the weight gain. Weight gain can cause an increase in cholesterol. Since you feel the alcohol has caused you to gain weight, it can be an indirect cause for your high cholesterol. You really need to get both the weight gain and alcohol problem solved and out of the way as quickly as you can. Fat can deposit in your liver and cause a fatty liver, which can lead to high cholesterol and liver prolems. Please, chill on the drinking. Why did you start heavy drinking?

------------------
Magpie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread