It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

cyberv HB User
E.R. took me off statins

My left leg was 2 inches larger than my right one all the way to my foot....side effect of statins....Dr sent me in to make sure it wasn't a clot. I have had leg and knee pan as long as I have been on them, but nothing like this. I have a heavy genetic disposition to high cholesterol..plus my diet sucks and I need to lose some weight.....I'm worried. My father died with heart attack at 58, my mother almost 58 (beast cancer)....I'm 56 the 20th. I am determined to eat right and lose weight...still worried

Old 10-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User
Re: E.R. took me off statins

You CAN do it without the drugs! I too have the genetic disposition for high cholesterol and I got off the statins and got mine down to a level my doctor and I can live with. I did it by going back to eating like we did when we were kids, mostly fruit and vegetables, nuts, bean, REAL butter when I HAD to have it (have learned not to need it often), only had meat about once a week and just making wiser choices. (I cut out all carbs also) It was a way I adopted of eating over 5 years ago and still use because I enjoy it so much. The real pay off was I lost 50 pounds and am now back down to the weight I had been most of my life.

I played with my diet until I tweaked it enough to get the results I wanted. I set no time limit on my weight loss, just the goal I wanted to be and once I reached my goal..opps.... I kept loosing because I continued eating like I had been to lower the cholesterol and loose the weight. (Yea, I was enjoying eating like that!) I had to introduce some carb and fats back into my diet to maintain where I was.

Now, while I use the word "diet", it wasn't really a diet. It was just a healthier way of eating and I ate more on that "diet" than I ever ate in all my life and I ate all day long. If I did it, YOU CAN TO!! Figure out a new way of eating that works for YOU!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi my cholesterol level was tested years ago and was very low my heart attack risk is below the very low according to the doctor. This was accomplished by not using any animal products, no dairy of any type including cheese, no egg, no meat and spending roughly an hour a day in the sun. They say you should not go out in the sun between the hours of 10a.m. and 2 p.m. I don't use meat.

Last edited by sjb; 10-17-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
(female)

cyberv HB User

Thank you. I am trying SO hard. Yesterday, I had old fashion oat meal for breakfast left over "altered" spaghetti for lunch, hand broiled salmon for dinner with veggies and a hand full of nuts for a snack. I make real Italian spaghetti sauce that you cook for hours....but his time instead of the hamburger and sweet Italian sausage, I just used ground turkey, still had all the different spices and peppers and it really wasn't "bad" just different....we can live with it and just have it the right way on a rare occasion...I need to find a bunch of "cholesterol/heart healthily" recipes......how long will it take with diet to bring it down. My sister is having a fit that I'm going to have heart attack now cause I'm not taking the statin

Old 10-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi There you are welcome! :smile: My mother used to tell me she didn't use many recipes she would just put things together. A nice fruit salad for an evening meal might be made from watermelon canteloupe bananas and maybe raisins or grapes in your favorite amounts of each. You can switch items for others such as using blueberries instead of raisins, or raspberries instead of raisins.

A nice vegetable salad can be made using chopped up Romaine lettuce, green peppers, cherry tomatoes for color and maybe shredded cabbage. I like to make my own dressings using a little lemon juice and a little seasoning of various types such as rosemary, thyme, if you don't have any salt issues you could add that or a commercial additive free season instead. I think if I remember right oil and greases (also found in many products) can contribute to cholesterol difficulties. I was told many years ago that hydrogenated products can increase problems inside the heart and blood vessels so I don't use any product with hydrogenation in it including the peanut butter and chips.

Closed Thread