It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
(male)

Zachary86 HB User
Safe Way to get off statins

What is the safest way to get off of the cholesterol lowering drug Vitorin?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Safe Way to get off statins

I would just stop taking it. I don't think you need to "wean" off, but maybe someone else knows better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Nope, no need to wean off. I took Lipitor and then good old Baycol years ago. After getting really sick I dumped them right in the garbage. Yes, your cholesterol will probaly go up but if you can control it with diet and exercise it will come back down.

Good luck....JJ....

Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Nope, no need to wean off. I took Lipitor and then good old Baycol years ago. After getting really sick I dumped them right in the garbage. Yes, your cholesterol will probaly go up but if you can control it with diet and exercise it will come back down.

Good luck....JJ....
Thanks for this info. My doctor, a woman, has just prescribed generic Zoloft, but according to my precautionary search results, it causes a terrible b.o., lasting at least 10 mo. of not taking it, and a newsletter says a whole list of 11 Statins are all dangerous, cause muscle weakness/pain, kidney damage, eye damage, etc., etc. And, the lab cholesterol report changed so suddenly, ( hadn't been bad at all, since I usually only eat chicken and fish for meat, but I am low thyroid and diabetic for a lot of years) I'm thinking very possibly it could be a lab error.

Thanks for the info that you can get your cholesterol back down by diet and exercise. Doctors sometimes get offended by our depending on the web so much, but our lives are in the balance, and no one doctor can keep up with absolutely everything. What's a tactful way to say let's wait a while on this? "Know you probably don't have time to do these web searches"? Or, I'm still searching for alternative meds.

Last edited by Eagle; 04-06-2011 at 09:37 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Eagle:
JJ (04-07-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Well they shoved me on them in 2000 and after 4 months I was sick as all get out. My Dr. also prescribed Baycol and after taking that I thought I was dying I had so much pain. I told him..this stuff should be taken off the market, but he thought it was great. After about 3 weeks of that I dumped them and never took another statin. 5 months after I stopped them they were taken off the market. Needless to say that ended me and statins.

Some people take them with no problems, but I've now heard too many horror stories so my new Dr. has been told..don't even think about putting me on any. Hopefully you can get your numbers down with diet and exercise.

Good luck...JJ...

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
Eagle (04-06-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
Eagle (04-06-2011)
Closed Thread