It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

asuaries76 HB User
Angry Odd, high triglycerides, low ldl, decent hdl

So I went in to have a fasting lipid panel done as well as my thyroid panel (as I am hypothroid and need to check my bloodwork often).

The lipid panel stated something I am not sure if I should be concerned about or not?!

Triglycerides came back at : 141 mg/dL (range is : 35-135 mg/dL)
HDL: 50 mg/dL (range is : 40-75 mg/dL)
LDL : 68 mg/dL (range is : 60-100 mg/dL)

My blood pressure is always awesome, as it typically reads 116/70 or 118/72.

I am 5"6, 155 pounds... and here is the real kicker, I DON'T TOUCH SUGAR. I don't do the whole "low fat" deal because low-fat junk is package with more carbs and sugar to make it taste better. You take out the fat, you have to put something back in, and it usually sugar. I get, on average, about 20-30 grams of sugar daily, and I am including my apple or asian pear in that total.

I eat a very routine diet.. steel-cut oats in the morning with Jay Robb Protein powder mixed in and Unsweetened Almond Milk..
Mid morning is Fage greek yogurt with some ground flaxseed and 1/4 cup Fiber One bran.
Lunch is chicken breast or some form of lean protein with maybe a bell pepper raw and a tablespoon of almonds. (Yes, I measure this).
Mid afternoon snack is an EAS Carbcontrol protein shake and a piece of string cheese.
Dinner is 3.5 oz lean meat with steamed broc and cauli.
Evening snack is an apple with Maranatha Peanut Butter - no salt added (ingredients are : peanuts - no sugar).

I have NO idea why I would have high tri's with this type of diet. I am on birth control, Yasmin.. and I am on Armour Thyroid. Nothing else.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Odd, high triglycerides, low ldl, decent hdl

Smoking, drinking alcohol, and inactivity are non-dietary things that raise triglycerides.

Good luck on figuring out what's up

Pup

Old 04-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

asuaries76 HB User

I don't smoke or drink (maybe a glass of wine in a month's time, but not a regular habit..). I also work out about 3-4 times a week with HIIT (high intesity interval training) and I lift free weights (medium - to heavy lifting).

Still clueless. Thank you for the comment regardless!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I didn't figure,

Heredity plays a part.

I also thought Doc's like to keep the tri's below 150. Our lab normal is <149

;-)

Pup

Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Hi,
Was about to report almost your same post. I have hypothyroidism 10 years. Have always had decent levels lab results on my lipids. All within normal range.

Anyway, in Dec. 2010, my cholesterol came back at 247!! My thyroid levels were within normal range, nothing else showed up High or Low. I weighed 155 at that time and my cardiologist said he would put me on a statin drug to lower the cholesterol if I couldn't get the number down in 3 months. So I stuck to a diet of 5 small portions a day of veggies,fruits and salmon 3x weekly along with a sides of white rice, sweet potatoes.
As I am lactose intolerant began drinking the milk advertised that does not contain lactose, 3-8oz glasses a day.

Had new labs drawn 4/8/2011, 4 months since the previous labs. My cholesterol had reduced from 247 to 211 BUT, my triglycerides, always around 55, was now at 129. I was shocked but must say that my TSH was now at 5.53, 6 is the max. It was normally at 2.25 and my free T3 and free T4 below normal. So I am guessing the increase in tri's are related to the TSH etc. being off. But I am wondering what part of my diet has caused this change in my labs? I posted on the Thyroid page as well but no replies.
Are you taking thyroid medication, I am on 88 mcg. of Synthroid.
Anxious to hear your feedback...thanks in advance.

Closed Thread