It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
(male)

dlavi HB User
Confused by results -- Doctor little help so far

I am 34 and just had my Cholesteral tested for the first time in recent memory. In January after reading Taubes book, I went on a low carb diet and have lost over 15 pounds. I exercise regularly and consider myself to be a healthy. NO family history of heart disease but both parents have high Cholesteral.

Here are my numbers.
Total: 304
Triglyceride: 72
HDL: 73
LDL (direct measure): 214

They also tested Glucose and that was a heathy 83.

My LDL seems sky high but my HDL and Trigylcerides are good. I suggested to my doctor that we do a more comprehnsive test so we could see VLDL and get a direct measure of my LDL. He does not seem receptive. So far we have only e-mailed but I have an appointment next week. My guess is that he will want to put me on statins which I see as a last resort.

I am confused as to what these numbers really mean for a risk and I think that it is probably hard to know without knowing VLDL and whether the LDL is the fluffy or dense kind. I am willing to try and make changes in my diet to see if that lowers LDL (I probably eat 10 to 12 eggs a week on average).

Last edited by dlavi; 04-30-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Confused by results -- Doctor little help so far

Yes your numbers are fairly high. Have you ever tried any natural products to lower your numbers like Niacin...fish oil etc.? Many folks here have lowered theirs with natural things plus diet and exercise.

They tried me on 3 different statins and I couldn't take them due to nasty side effects, yet others do fine on them. So far I have kept my numbers fairly good with just diet and exercise. Do a search on low glycemic foods and also a low carb diet. You don't need to give up everything but do need to cut way back on fried or greasy foods if eaten and get more protien and much less carbs.

Your Dr. probably will want you on a statin but it's also your choice to take or not to take but you do need to get your numbers down. As far as your VLDL, that is usually calculated by dividing your number by 5. I'm sure others will come along and try to help with suggestions.

To get your risk factors just divide your TC and LDL seperately by your HDL.

Best of luck...JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
(male)

dlavi HB User

I am already on a low carb diet and exercise regularly. I am not inclined at all to go on statins. I may see what I can do by cutting down on eggs and red meat.

I think that my ratios actually look ok
HDL/TC = 4.16
HDL/LDL ratio .33 (real ratio is probably better because LDL calculation is likely too high due to low trigylcerides)

Old 04-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
(female)

AnonHandle HB User

I have been doing low-carb for many years and spent many an hour on low-carb websites. Your numbers look pretty typical for a low-carber.

Personally, with your numbers I would get a new doctor before going on a statin. If my cholesterol was sky-high, I'd still get a second, third, fourth, and fifth opinion before going on a statin, and I certainly wouldn't go on one without a VAP or other test that breaks down your LDL and gives you your CRP.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-29-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Hi Dlavi,

Looks like you have calculated a ratio that is not taken into account. (HDL/LDL)

The ratio should be LDL divided by HDL (LDL/HDL) which gives you a ratio of 2.97 and places you in the medium risk group of CAD developing in later life. Should be <2.0 for anyone with no other risk factors.

Your TC/HDL is only just within the upper limit. (4.5)

However, some good news, your Trigs/HDL ratio being the most accurate ratio to predict future CAD is excellent. 0.99 (Should be <3.2)

Sort out you LDL and you'll be fine.
Being fit and healthy is great.....but it seems that the input is exceeding the output. (Possibly, fat intake.)

Good luck
Yack.

Closed Thread