It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

Smilefreely1 HB User
Question High HDL cholesterol

HDL 112. LDL 135. triglyceride 47 Tolal 256

I'm trying to work something out. my LDL is about 5 over, and not quite sure how bad that is. My HDL is high, 112, and was told that I need to lower it. I haven't found any information anywhere to show that your HDL can be too high.
I'm not on any medication.
does anyone have an opinion?

Old 09-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User
Re: High HDL cholesterol

Hi Smilefreely1 and welcome.

The answer is...that's because to date, there is no "too high" for HDL. The main purpose of HDL is to transport cholesterol from tissue back to the liver. The more of the good collecting lipoprotein (HDL) the more bad lipoproteins (LDL and Triglyceride) are transported.

I've never heard of anyone being informed to reduce HDL before. How strange.

Your ratios are excellent.
TC/HDL = 2.29 (Low risk =<4.5)
LDL/HDL = 1.21 (Low risk =<3.2)
Trigs/HDL =0.42 (Low Risk =<2.0)

Have you any ailments, such as high blood pressure?
If not, don't worry, and whatever your physical activities and diet, keep them up.

Yack

Last edited by yackedar; 09-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
(female)

Smilefreely1 HB User
Talking Re: High HDL cholesterol

I really appreciate your feedback, thank you.

I believe the problem is that the doctors office( I.e. Nurses) look at total cholesterol and not the individual numbers.

Last edited by Smilefreely1; 09-07-2011 at 05:00 AM.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

When I had my last blood test (about 5 years ago), my numbers were:

TC....228
HDL..120
LDL....99
Trig....44

My doctor never suggested that my HDL was too high, and if he did, I certainly wouldn't try to lower it. That simply wouldn't make sense, and I'm surprised that any doctor would want his patient to lower it. We all know that HDL is protective, and that the higher the HDL and the lower the LDL and triglycerides are, the better off we are. A good example of this is the grizzly bear. Grizzlies rarely develop atherosclerosis, even though they have very high total cholesterol. However, nearly all of their cholesterol is made up of HDL!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
(female)

Smilefreely1 HB User

Do you think a high HDL is a consequence of your diet or genes? Do you know of any research on the subject. I need to get my facts straight if I'm going to face this high HDL number with doctors and nurses in the future.
I believe in diet and exercise over prescription drugs 'most' of the time.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

You don't have a problem! Just keep doing what you've been doing and change to a more intelligent doctor and/or office staff

Old 09-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I believe that a high HDL is partly determined by genetics, but that diet can also have a significant influence. Considering the numbers that you provided, I see no reason why you should need to do anything different. Forget about the total cholesterol number. When you take into account your LDL, HDL, and triglyceride numbers, the total number becomes irrelevant, because your ratios are all very favorable. Furthermore, I would bet that if they would give you a breakdown of your LDL, they would find that you are Pattern A, which are mostly large, buoyant particles, which tend to be mostly benign, and not likely to deposit as plaque. Pattern A LDL is most consistently seen in people who have high HDL and low triglycerides, which is what you have. Pattern B LDL is most harmful, since it consists primarily of small, dense particles, which are more prone to oxidation, and can most easily deposit as plaque. People who have a combination of low HDL and high triglycerides are more likely to exhibit a Pattern B profile. I hope this information is helpful, and is of some consolation to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARIZONA73 For This Useful Post:
Smilefreely1 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #8
(male)

UTVOL06 HB User

What type of blood test do i need to get to show the different pattern profiles(high buoyancy vs small high density particles)?

Last edited by UTVOL06; 09-08-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well, from the report I have in front of me, it seems that you should ask for a "Lipid Subclass Detail" analysis. That's the category it's listed under. It gives you a breakdown of not only your LDL, but your HDL as well.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
(male)

UTVOL06 HB User
Question Re: High HDL cholesterol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilefreely1 View Post
Do you think a high HDL is a consequence of your diet or genes? Do you know of any research on the subject. I need to get my facts straight if I'm going to face this high HDL number with doctors and nurses in the future.
I believe in diet and exercise over prescription drugs 'most' of the time.
Are you for real? High HDL is a good thing!

Closed Thread