It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
(female)

Sailboat123 HB User
Sky High Cholesterol

I know someone who has a total cholesterol level of over 1000. Doctors have put him on many different medicines but nothing besides Welchol and Lovaza has made any real difference (that reduced it to 600). He is not overweight, has a pretty normal diet and it in his early 30's. Waiting for next steps from doctors but also there are currently elevated levels in the pancreas and a history of thyroid problems when he was a child. Obviously this seems like it is connected somehow. About a year ago his cholesterol was around 300, so this has not been something he has had from childhood. Has anyone ever seen this?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Exclamation Re: Sky High Cholesterol

I've heard of people with TC levels of 1000 or so. I have high cholesterol (287 is the highest it's ever been) but the statin I take [Lescol XL] has done a terrific job on it (reducing it to 176). I've heard that extremely high cholesterol is caused by genetics. The doctor told me mine was genetic. Your friend probably has a genetic condition. If it's any consolation, one doctor told me that in his opinion high cholesterol caused by genetics isn't as dangerous as that caused by poor diet. In other words, the body was "designed" to have high cholesterol if it is genetic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Furter For This Useful Post:
Sethsmom44 (02-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
(female)

cheers777 HB User
Talking Re: Sky High Cholesterol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat123 View Post
I know someone who has a total cholesterol level of over 1000. Doctors have put him on many different medicines but nothing besides Welchol and Lovaza has made any real difference (that reduced it to 600). He is not overweight, has a pretty normal diet and it in his early 30's. Waiting for next steps from doctors but also there are currently elevated levels in the pancreas and a history of thyroid problems when he was a child. Obviously this seems like it is connected somehow. About a year ago his cholesterol was around 300, so this has not been something he has had from childhood. Has anyone ever seen this?
hi!

is there an update on your friend? i have a thread on almost exactly the same thing.....thank you!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Sky High Cholesterol

Hypothyroidism can cause high cholesterol. Since he had a thyroid problem before, he definitely should get that checked again as it may be contributing to the cholesterol problem.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
(female)

cheers777 HB User
Re: Sky High Cholesterol

indeed.

my hypo has been regulated quite well for a decade, maintaining a TSH right under 1.

my cholesterol spiked to over 1000, triglycerides to 13,500. scary, but confirmed several times. i am not quite 30 and, while FH with 2 bad LDL genes seems accurate, mine, as well as the OP's friend, was not this high as a child, and was in the 200-range with high HDL in adulthood.

so i am just following up, although it is an old thread

Reply Reply