It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
(male)

ArbyMelt HB User
Results from taking 2000mg Niacin every night

I've been taking 2000mg immediate release Niacin every night for about 3 months. In 2011, I had 3 tests done and averaged the following:

Triglycerides: 119
LDL: 143
HDL: 49
Total: 216

I just got my results back after 3 months of 2000mg Niacin:

Tri: 95
LDL: 149
HDL: 62
Total: 230

My HDL is up about 25%. Amazing results from Niacin. Triglycerides were down some too (also take fish oil). I think I will take RYR every night at bedtime and see if I can get that LDL down in the low 100's. I'll report back.

But its true immediate release Niacin will dramatically increase your HDL! Flushing is minimal for me after the first few weeks, as long as I take every day.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User
Re: Results from taking 2000mg Niacin every night

On such a high dose, ensure that you get a LFT every three months. Being as there are over one hundred liver diseases don't take any chances.

If you go on RYR, and remain on 2gms vitamin B3, there are interactions between the two.
RYR will lower your HDL by a point or two.

Be careful.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 01-20-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
(female)

Medley3 HB User

My brother in law took a high dosage of niacin and it helped his cholestral, but it also was damaging his liver. Stopped taking it..and his liver went back to normal..so like the above post said...make sure you have your liver tested.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

I would continue with the niacin and fish oil. Your numbers are not all that bad, and I would hold off on taking the RYR for now. Your numbers may get even better as long as you stay on the niacin and fish oil. I've been taking niacin (1000mg a day) for over 20 years, and my HDL is now over 100! But it did take several years. So give it some time. In fact, unless you are being monitored by a doctor, I would cut your dosage down a little, to maybe 1000-1500mg/day. Good luck, and keep up the good work. I think you're on the right track.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Congrats!

I agree with Arizona about now cutting back on your dosage. I have also been taking Niacin for years with no problems but continue to get good results now with only a maintenance dose of 500 mg. daily.

Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
servo46250 (03-26-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
(male)

dolhop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbyMelt View Post
Flushing is minimal for me after the first few weeks, as long as I take every day.
I've been contemplating starting Niacin for my cholesterol. There are a few things that i haven't been able to find an answer for and you might have hinted at the fact that you know:

* you said as long as you take it every day - what happens if you miss a dose or two? does the flushing come back right away?

* I've also read that you shouldn't consume alcohol whilst on niacin. Is that because it makes the flushing worse? if so, is it fine to take niacin in the morning and have a beer or two at night? Or are there interactions with the liver such that you have to not drink at all, ever?

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

I'm not Arbhy but I can tell you my experience.

I actually skip a day here and there to push more flushing because I am now on a maintenance dose and the flushing is minimal to none. You want to have some flushing. After you establish yourself at a particular level it's fine to skip one day. It will produce more flushing the next day but not so much as to be unbearable!

A beer or two, IMO, is not going to harm you.

Jen

Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
(male)

servo46250 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolhop View Post
I've been contemplating starting Niacin for my cholesterol. There are a few things that i haven't been able to find an answer for and you might have hinted at the fact that you know:

* you said as long as you take it every day - what happens if you miss a dose or two? does the flushing come back right away?

* I've also read that you shouldn't consume alcohol whilst on niacin. Is that because it makes the flushing worse? if so, is it fine to take niacin in the morning and have a beer or two at night? Or are there interactions with the liver such that you have to not drink at all, ever?

Thanks!
All good questions - and as someone who was today told my doc to start 500mg Niacin slow release, I'd like to know the answers to this as well. I usually am good at taking pills before bed, but if I have to do twice, one at morning and one at night, I'm usually bad about forgetting the morning dose.

Bump for reply, please!

My HDL is 30, so I'm hoping for a big jump!

Closed Thread