It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

Phoebe6 HB User
Smile High LDL low triglyceride/Anti-smooth muscle antibody level

Went to see the doctor on Friday regarding my blood test results, the two things which were rather high were cholesterol levels:

Taken Fasting at 10.00 am

Serum cholesterol XE2eD 5.7 mmol/L
Serum HDL level 1.6 mmol/L
Serum triglyceride 0.6 mmol/L
Serum cholesterol HDL ratio 3.2
Serum LDL level 3.6 mmol/L

Anti-smooth muscle autoantibody level (XE2ph). Weak positive
Auto-immune hepatitis? viral hepatitis? Drug induced

Regarding the liver tests I don't take drugs either recreational or farmaceutical.
However from the ages of 14-21 was on antibiotics for a lot of the time for Acne, could this be the cause of liver damage?

I eat plenty organic food: vegetables, free range grass fed beef, lamb, chicken,eggs,wild salmon.Olive oil. Wholemeal bread and oats in the morning, but also eat quite a lot of organic butter and organic chocolate!

Any advice welcome.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: High LDL low triglyceride/Anti-smooth muscle antibody level

Hi,

You're numbers aren't really bad. I certainly wouldn't take any statins, especially with the liver issues. Just cut down a little on the butter and eat more oatmeal, nuts and high fiber foods. Don't forget the Omega 3. That should help with the LDL and maybe even raise the HDL a little, even though it's very good. Your triglycerides are fantastic. I don't know much about the liver issues, maybe someone else could help out with that or you could post on the liver board. Take care.

The Following User Says Thank You to rudiraven For This Useful Post:
Phoebe6 (05-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
(female)

Phoebe6 HB User

Hi Rudiraven,
Many thanks for answering my question and the news about the triglycerides being good!
Actually I would never consider taking statins as since coming off antibiotics (tetracyclin, arithromycin if I remember correctly) have adopted an holistic approach to healthcare where possible.
Have since cut down on the butter and chocolate and started walking again,any idea how long it takes for the cholesterol levels to change?
Shall now post the other results on the liver board and see if any one can offer any advice regarding those results.
Thankyou again!

Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
(female)

Phoebe6 HB User

Hi again, you mentioned that the HDL at 1.6 mmol/L is good, what figure in mmol/L should the LDL be to be in the correct ratio to it? Thanks!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Hi Phoebe

In the UK, the single figure guidelines are:
LDL <=3mmol/l
TC <=5mmol/l
Trigs <=1.5mmol/l
HDL =>1.0mmol/l

Figures on there own mean very little, so if the figures look worse than they should be the following ratios are looked at:

TC/HDL ratio <= 4.5
LDL/HDL ratio <= 3.2
Trigs/HDL ratio <= 2.0 (This ratio is now considered to be the most accurate in determining CHD within 10 years.) Ratios of 4 is high, and 6 being very high risk.

Your TC/HDL = 3.56
Your LDL/HDL = 2.25
Your Trigs/HDL = 0.37

So as you can see, your figures overall are good.
To lower your LDL to a good level first of all cut out all red meat. Eat more fish containing high levels of Omega3, or EPA/DHA capsules of a 2:1 ratio. ie: 600mg EPA to 300mg DHA. Cut out all oils exept Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Try for six months, get re-tested. If LDL is below 3.0mmol/l....great.
If not, check out my posts on Natures Plus Red Yeast Rice.

All the best
Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 05-16-2012 at 11:31 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to yackedar For This Useful Post:
Phoebe6 (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
(female)

Phoebe6 HB User

Hi Yack,

Thankyou very much for your reply.I am relieved to hear that overall the results are good but if they can be improved on so much the better.
Actually I spend a lot of of time in Italy where I use a fantastic Leccino denocciolato olive oil from Lake Garda all the time, it tastes fantastic. I shall be there for 2 to 3 months so that should help! Will eat more wild salmon and have ordered some MorEPA platinum omega 3 capsules, these are supposed to be processed in the correct way at low temperatures. Will look into the supplement that you mentioned, I have some the Nature's Plus source of life gold vit/ min tablets
Is good quality red wine ok in moderation?
Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question

Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
(female)

Phoebe6 HB User

P.S. Thanks also for doing the maths and working out the correct ratios

Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

My wife is Italian and has always tried to put me on a Mediterranean diet for many many years....She failed and now I wished I had listened to her. LOL

Now you are not asking my permission to drink red wine are you? LOL.....Permission granted.

Look at the French people. Weaned on Red wine, eat diets equivalent to us in the UK, but heart disease is so very low.
Fish and red wine they reckon.

Without going into great detail, it's good for the heart and brain.

ps: Ratios...no problem

Is that local olive oil...Virgin? ( 1st. Pressing.)

Yack

Last edited by yackedar; 05-16-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
(female)

Phoebe6 HB User

Hi Yack, yes, it is local extra virgin olive oil made from olives from the Lake Garda area. The main two varieties of olives used are Leccino and Casaliva, they are gathered only when ripe, pitted then pressed the same day. The 'bouquet' and flavour are wonderful, I've tried several really good olive oils but this is my favourite, pour into a shallow bowl then dip in freshly made still warm bread ( even though it's not healthy white is best for this) perhaps with a glass if good local wine, it's pure heaven!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
(male)

My mouth is drooling for....get this......dunking some Ciabatta into a bowl of Leccino, with a side dish of olives, lettuce, pint of beer and a cornetto. LOL

I'll try that one next time we are over there.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
(female)

Phoebe6 HB User

Yes, do, you won't be dissapointed! Will have the cholesterol checked again in 6 months.

Closed Thread