It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

lucky1s HB User
Yeast supplement success and statin side effects-

I was on 20 mg of simvastatin and experienced horrible side effects including severe anxiety. My dr. switched me to a half a 20 mg lipator and most of the side effects went away with a little anxiety still that may be coming from elsewhere.

Since he cut the dose in half I started taking 2 flax seed capsules, 2 oatmeal pills and 1 fish oil faithfully every day.

My cholesterol wnet down to 135 and my liver enzymes got a little better than they were on the simvastatin.

I would like to try the red yeast supplements and toss the drugs altogether now that I am closer to a normal range. I was too scared to try it when my levels were super high.

Since red yeast is a natural statin does it also have side effects? I am curious to your opinions. My dr. is a statin lover and doesnt agree with my side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Yeast supplement success and statin side effects-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1s View Post
Since red yeast is a natural statin does it also have side effects?

I've been taking RYR for many years and have never had side effects. Try the Nature's Plus brand with more monaclins and free of citrinin. Also, be sure to take a Ubiquinol (not Ubiquinine) supplement along with it.

I am curious to your opinions. My dr. is a statin lover and doesnt agree with my side effects

I think if I had a doctor who dismissed my reporting of symptoms I'd try to find another doctor, one who wasn't so moored in his own opinions.

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
(female)

lucky1s HB User

Thanks for your reply. Just curious, what is your cholesterol history?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1s View Post
Thanks for your reply. Just curious, what is your cholesterol history?
I had genetically high cholesterol and lots of heart disease in my family. When I was told to take Lipitor it was before I understood about ratios being more important than the TC. In retrospect, I now wonder if maybe my ratios were okay from the get-go. Anyway, since I've always been inclined toward alternative, rather than allopathic, I declined the drugs and researched non-drug alternatives.

I started first with Flush Niacin to raise my HDL (it now always hovers around 97 or higher). Later, I added RYR and COQ10 for my LDL. I had already been taking Krill Oil. My ratios are always in the low risk category. I should mention also that I eat low-carb and have for a good many years. I think this is as (or maybe even, more) important as supplementation. I've been toying with reducing my supplements to see if my values remain stable. If so, I would then try stopping altogether, just to see what would happen. I could always go back on them again. I would probably always take some Flush Niacin as it has other benefits for me as well.

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 06-17-2012 at 09:49 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
lucky1s (06-17-2012)
Closed Thread