It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
(male)

haae HB User
Best alternatives to statins?

So I have just starting researching natural alternatives to statins to lower my LDL. Mine is 123 and 3 months ago it was 119 and now my doc is saying that I NEED to get on statin. I am 27 year old male, type 1 diabetic. I REALLY donít want to start taking a statin at age 27.

So what I am wondering I guess is what are my best alternatives to statins? I have heard a lot of good things about red yeast supplements. Is that all I should take? Any certan brands of red yeast that is best? Any ingredients to avoid?

Any more info anyone would care to share on that or point me to too read? I have also heard that I should take Red yeast with coq10?
Any help or reading material will be much appreciated

Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Best alternatives to statins?

Hi,

It would be helpful to see all your numbers - HDL, LDL and Triglycerides to determine your ratios. Doc's tend to be ultra conservative and alarmists when it comes to cholesterol. They often push statins when completely unnecessary, especially for someone as young as you are! Considering the side-effects of this drug, I think this tendency, which is based on ignorance, is a crime. But enough soap boxing, here is some information about lowering LDL with alternative measures:

-Nature's Plus Red Yeast Rice - Follow the directions

-A Ubiquinol (Kaneka QH) Supplement - The dosage needed increases with one's age. Since you are young, 50 mg. would probably be fine but it wouldn't hurt to take a higher dose either.

Best with this,

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I agree with jenj. Could you post all your numbers so we can get a ratio? I am VERY against statins so any alternative is a good idea to me. They had me on them years ago for about 6 months and I was never so sick in all my life! I took myself off of them and have never even tried the RYR as I've controled it with diet and exercise. Even if you take the RYR CO Q10 should be used as it is a natural statin. Many Drs. don't tell their patients to take it when on a statin of any kind, but should, as any statin, Rx or natural depletes your body of certain things.

Wishing you the best...JJ.....

Old 06-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
(male)

haae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Hi,

It would be helpful to see all your numbers - HDL, LDL and Triglycerides to determine your ratios. Doc's tend to be ultra conservative and alarmists when it comes to cholesterol. They often push statins when completely unnecessary, especially for someone as young as you are! Considering the side-effects of this drug, I think this tendency, which is based on ignorance, is a crime. But enough soap boxing, here is some information about lowering LDL with alternative measures:

-Nature's Plus Red Yeast Rice - Follow the directions

-A Ubiquinol (Kaneka QH) Supplement - The dosage needed increases with one's age. Since you are young, 50 mg. would probably be fine but it wouldn't hurt to take a higher dose either.

Best with this,

Jen

Hi thanks so much for the reply. Well I am not sure about my triglycerides ďor exactly what they are for that matter), but
HDL: 64
LDL: 123
Total cholesterol: 196
I will probably start with some more extreme diet changes, as I already eat pretty healthy and exercise. And then start COQ10, and then add Nature's Plus Red Yeast Rice.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haae View Post
Hi thanks so much for the reply. Well I am not sure about my triglycerides ďor exactly what they are for that matter), but
HDL: 64
LDL: 123
Total cholesterol: 196
I will probably start with some more extreme diet changes, as I already eat pretty healthy and exercise. And then start COQ10, and then add Nature's Plus Red Yeast Rice.
Your doctor is an alarmist. It is criminal (in my opinion) to suggest you go on statins with your good numbers. Your LDL/HDL ration is 1.92 (low risk category), well under the suggested <3.2. Your TC/HDL ratio is 3.0, again, under the suggested <4.5. I don't really think you have to do "extreme" anything, as you suggest above. You seem to already be doing more than fine. You are doing GREAT! Worrying about these numbers would be the only problem. Your doctor should be ashamed!

Jen

Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I can't even believe your Dr. would think of putting you on a statin with those numbers. Even though you are a type 1 Diabetic your numbers are well within the limits. Your Trigs. can't be that bad with those numbers so I wouldn't even think about taking anything.

Time for you to have a good talk with your Dr. and find out why he/she even thinks your numbers need correcting. I know when you have Diabetes, or any other disease they want your numbers as low as possible but yours are fine. My husband has Diabetes and a heart problem and his TC is about 198, LDL about 128 but he has low HDL, 36-38 and higher Trigs. around 190 and his Drs., both PCP and Cardio think he is doing just fine and tell him to just watch his diet. His numbers have been this way for years and he will be 75 next week!

Best of wishes to you...JJ....

Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Hi Haae,

A little more info for you.
All of your individual figures are either desirable, normal or optimal (BTW your Trig's work out at 45mg/dl) providing all three major ratio figures as 'ideal'.

However, having Type I diabetes doctors tend to look at an LDL figure of <=100mg/dl. Why this one figure alters a doctors decision without taking the HDL and Triglyceride figures into account to prescribe a statin drug I do not understand.
As has been mentioned, the decision to prescribe a Statin drug should be taken on the cholesterol profile as a whole. This means looking at the 3 ratios.....TC/HDL, LDL/HDL and Trigs/HDL.

May I suggest that if you decide to go down the Red Yeast Rice (Use the tried and member tested brand, Nature's Plus) route to lower your LDL to the 'magical' 100 figure, I would have thought that in your case 300mg each evening for three months should be sufficient. Retest and if necessary re-adjust to 600mg per day thereafter.
May I also say that by taking any form of Statin whether it be naturally or artificially manufactured there is a high probability that your HDL will be lowered by a couple of points.
To counteract this side effect, take a minimum of 666mg EPA and 333mg DHA (2:1 ratio) of Omega 3 oils. If you are taking Omega 6 oils, stop immediately.....these are not Cholesterol friendly.

Good luck
Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 06-28-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
(male)

haae HB User

Thank you for all your responses, and yes I myself think my doc is an alarmist. I also like a more natural approach to fix health problems, my doc is VERY fast to write a prescription, but does not really give me a clear description of the problem and therefor a solution. Rather just address the symptoms than try and find a solution.

I would however like to get my LDL lower, but I am very relieved that it isnít as bad as he made it sound. I will just change a couple of thing around in my diet a little more, check in another 3 months and go from there. Thanks again for your helpful responses very glad I found this forum.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
(female)

Shamrocklady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haae View Post
So I have just starting researching natural alternatives to statins to lower my LDL. Mine is 123 and 3 months ago it was 119 and now my doc is saying that I NEED to get on statin. I am 27 year old male, type 1 diabetic. I REALLY donít want to start taking a statin at age 27.

So what I am wondering I guess is what are my best alternatives to statins? I have heard a lot of good things about red yeast supplements. Is that all I should take? Any certan brands of red yeast that is best? Any ingredients to avoid?

Any more info anyone would care to share on that or point me to too read? I have also heard that I should take Red yeast with coq10?
Any help or reading material will be much appreciated
I also had very high cholesterol. MY problem was after taking just 1 statin pill I itched for days. It was an allergic reaction. After talking to several friends I started taking red yeast rice, Co-Q-10 & Omega 3 & 6 fish oil. Within 7 weeks my cholesterol dropped from 369 to 204. I just had blood work done last Monday & my cholesterol was 196 & the "bad" cholesterol was 91. I told my doctor what i was taking & she was amazed at my results from using those natural supplements.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Hi Shamrocklady

I would not recommend Omega6 fatty acids being supplemented when aiming to better one's lipid figures.

Omega3 reduces inflammation whilst Omega6 promotes inflammation, thereby counteracting most of the beneficial effects of Omega3.

The experts say that the western diet should contain a balanced ratio of these types of acids, but it actually contains 10-25 times more Omega 6 than Omega 3. This high intake is probably one of the major causes of inflammation, leading to heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes etc.
Therefore, supplementing with these type of fatty acids is not required nor recommended in the western world.

The best known natural balance for these two acids can be found in the Mediterranean diet. People living in that part of the world who have only known the Med' diet are less likely to develop heart disease than anyone else in the world.

So having said all of the above only take Omega 3 containing a minimum of 600mg EPA and 300mg DHA. (2:1 ratio.)

ps: People taking more than 3gms Omega 3 per day have a higher risk for haemorrhagic stroke.

Food for thought.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 08-09-2012 at 01:10 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to yackedar For This Useful Post:
Shamrocklady (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
(female)

Shamrocklady HB User
Wink Re: Best alternatives to statins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yackedar View Post
Hi Shamrocklady

I would not recommend Omega6 fatty acids being supplemented when aiming to better one's lipid figures.

Omega3 reduces inflammation whilst Omega6 promotes inflammation, thereby counteracting most of the beneficial effects of Omega3.

The experts say that the western diet should contain a balanced ratio of these types of acids, but it actually contains 10-25 times more Omega 6 than Omega 3. This high intake is probably one of the major causes of inflammation, leading to heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes etc.
Therefore, supplementing with these type of fatty acids is not required nor recommended in the western world.

The best known natural balance for these two acids can be found in the Mediterranean diet. People living in that part of the world who have only known the Med' diet are less likely to develop heart disease than anyone else in the world.

So having said all of the above only take Omega 3 containing a minimum of 600mg EPA and 300mg DHA. (2:1 ratio.)

ps: People taking more than 3gms Omega 3 per day have a higher risk for haemorrhagic stroke.

Food for thought.

Yack.
Thank you. I have now switched to Omega 3. Unfortunately, my triglycerides are also off the charts at 597 & am in stage 3 kidney failure with a history of kidney stones. So, what supplements I take are of great importance. Thank you, again, for your reply!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
(male)

johanshaw HB User

Dear one of alternative is natural viniger and most important which can reduce your cholesterol effectively is garlic just take half piece or quater with honey and take it empty stomach .See its results .

The Following User Says Thank You to johanshaw For This Useful Post:
Shamrocklady (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
(female)

Shamrocklady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanshaw View Post
Dear one of alternative is natural viniger and most important which can reduce your cholesterol effectively is garlic just take half piece or quater with honey and take it empty stomach .See its results .
Thank you, I'll try that. I already eat a lot of garlic. I love it! My doctor knows I do NOT like prescriptions & suggested I begin a low dose (100 MG) of niacin after meals. I am to increase the dose week by week until I get to 500 per day. We shall see if that helps.

Reply Reply