It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
(male)

abnjim6 HB User
Freighted about High Cholesterol

I just received the results of blood test which includes cholesterol levels and I feel frightened, and disheartened about these results that follow:

Current levels 2012

Cholesterol: 232

HDL: 72

LDL: 178

These are recent levels (2012)

2005 levels were:

Cholesterol: 241

HDL: 64

LDL: 153

I do not understand why these levels (total cholesterol and LDL) are so high as I engage in nearly three hours of sustained aerobic exercise daily (run / bike), and although I have a "sweet tooth", I do not eat allot of red meat, but do consume pasta as I need complex carbs?

Please suggest what I can do to lower these numbers.....I am frightened that I might have a heart attack or stroke!

My weight is about 175, and I am 62 years of age.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Freighted about High Cholesterol

Relax, I don't think you're going to have a heart attack. Your total cholesterol has risen because your HDL (very good number) and LDL have both gone up. You didn't post your triglycerides. It would be helpful to know that number as well. Just as many people die of heart attacks that have low cholesterol so it's not necessarily an indicator of imminent death. Eat healthy fats like lean meats, nuts, avocados, etc. Try to limit the sweets and perhaps switch to whole wheat pasta or a low carb pasta. Keep exercising and stop worrying. Stress is a bigger detriment to health than cholesterol numbers.

The following user gives a hug of support to rudiraven:
abnjim6 (08-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
(male)

abnjim6 HB User

Thanks a million for your prompt reply. Am grateful

The triglyceride level is as follows. Does this level have a positive impact on the entire blood serum? Or risk of stroke or heart attach

I am training to run an ultramarathon grand slam (four 100 mile races in one year). I need to get my diet right

James

Triglycerides = 63

Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Ok, that's a pretty low, healthy triglyceride number, so that does reduce your risk.

To some extent, cholesterol is genetic. However, diet does play a big role.

For a few days, just make a note of what you eat, everything, including portion sizes, and see how much cholesterol and how much saturated fat you're eating. A serious endurance athlete does need a LOT of calories, but you still need to limit saturated fat.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
abnjim6 (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Yes, the triglyceride number is important in the ratio and your number is superb! Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy your life. Good luck with your marathons, but don't overdo with anything.......even running! Some studies have shown that marathon runners have scarred their heart tissue from over exertion. Humans were meant to do short bursts of running to keep from getting eaten and weren't actually meant to run for extended periods of time. (That's why cars were invented ) Regardless, take care and be safe

The Following User Says Thank You to rudiraven For This Useful Post:
abnjim6 (08-23-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
(male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User

Two years ago, I went to a Heart Clinic and had the following tests done:

EKG, Ultra Sonogram, Stress Test, Heart Imagine Scan and a Carotid Artery Test. I did fine with all 5 tests. The reason for the tests is that I had no idea what condition my heart was in. At the time, I was 70. What I got out of these test was peace of mind.

Many years ago the number for overall cholesterol was 242. The drug and medical industry lowered it to 200. This meant selling more drugs and more business for doctors.
Your only issue is LDL. I highly recommend taking Krill Oil everyday for cholesterol, triglcerides, ldl, hdl & glucose.

Last edited by berkeley3525; 08-28-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
(male)

abnjim6 HB User
Re: Freighted about High Cholesterol---Krill Oil?

Thank you for the reply to my message. I am grateful

I could go ahead an research the "krill oil" (and I will), but please tell about what this substance is, and how can I acquire it. How much does one take, and what has it done for you?

Thanks again.

James

Old 08-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
(male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User
Re: Freighted about High Cholesterol---Krill Oil?

You can get Krill Oil capsules in any health food store. Krill is the food for whales. Follow directions on bottle. Do a search on Healthboards for more information on Krill Oil.

Last edited by berkeley3525; 08-28-2012 at 12:17 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to berkeley3525 For This Useful Post:
abnjim6 (08-28-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Although your TC and LDL are a bit high your HDL of 72 and your Trigs. at 63 give you a good ratio. Your ratio is basically a 3.2 which is quite good.

As other posters have said, watch your diet and of course keep up with exercise. Many people do have genetic high cholesterol so at times diet doesn't help much but I see no problems with your good ratio.

Have never tried the Krill oil myself but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it. Wishing you luck with your ultramarathons.

I also agree with the fact that Drs. and labs have lowered the numbers for cholesterol as well as glucose and other things so they can shove more people on pills. I am NOT a fan of Statin drugs at all. Been there, done that and got sick as a dog!

Best of wishes...JJ.....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
abnjim6 (08-30-2012)
Reply Reply