It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

Cathy676 HB User
Hellpp!!

Okay im new here, i decided id give it a shot and see if anyone could help me.. i just recently had blood work taken and got the results back and at the bottom was a note from my doctor saying hed like to dicuss medicines for my high cholestrol with him asap.. here are the numbers

Chol - 291
HDL ( direct) 96
calculated ldl 182

im only 24 and am a nervous wreck as it is i dont need more medicine is there anything i can do to make this number come down and have a healthy heart!! without medication...

im already on anxiety medicine prozac
an allergy medicine loradtadine or something that i take daily along with my contraceptive pill...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Hellpp!!

Cathy,

Your TC/HDL ratio is 3.03 under the suggested <4.5

Your LDL/HDL ratio is 1.8 under the suggested <2.0

You didn't post your Triglycerides.

Unless you've been told you have a heart problem I wouldn't worry at this point. Your HDL is stellar!

Cardiologists are notoriously ultra conservative and often do not take into account the ratios. They seem to love putting people on toxic statins. Maybe they just want to cover their own hide. If you want to lower your LDL further you could probably do so with diet alone. Low carb works well.

All the best,

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
(female)

Cathy676 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Cathy,

Your TC/HDL ratio is 3.03 under the suggested <4.5

Your LDL/HDL ratio is 1.8 under the suggested <2.0

You didn't post your Triglycerides.

Unless you've been told you have a heart problem I wouldn't worry at this point. Your HDL is stellar!

Cardiologists are notoriously ultra conservative and often do not take into account the ratios. They seem to love putting people on toxic statins. Maybe they just want to cover their own hide. If you want to lower your LDL further you could probably do so with diet alone. Low carb works well.

All the best,

Jen
My trig is 63... tu so much!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathycollins6 View Post
My trig is 63... tu so much!
your trigs/HDL = 0.6 way under the <2.0

I really wouldn't worry about these numbers and don't let your doc try to convince you that you have a problem requiring statins!

Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Amen to what Jenj said! You should NOT, take statins. You might also consider finding a new physician who isn't a pill pusher. Your numbers are great!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
(male)

oddjob HB User

Your ldl is high, though.

Reply Reply

Tags
high cholesterol