It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
(male)

disbay HB User
Cholesterol levels are in wrong in every Direction

I received my results about a week ago.
TC 226
HDL 38
LDL 151
TRIG 180
I am 56 years old and my Dad had a heart attack at 56 and a doulble by pass at 58. My heart Doctor wants me on 20mg of Crestor a day and 2 Fish oil pills a day.
I haven't started the Crestor or even pick it up but I have been taking the Fish Oil everyday. I asked if I went on a strict diet and excerise can I avoids these pills. He told me that diet and excercise will only help about 10% because my levels are so bad and family history. Is there any way around this? I really don't want to be taking drugs if I don't have to. Or does my age and family history force me to?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Cholesterol levels are in wrong in every Direction

It is certainly worth a try with diet and exercise, especially if your diet has been out of whack. You don't mention that so it's hard to say. However, all your values/ratios are borderline except the HDL which is in the high risk range. The fish oil can help. Changing your diet to no or little fast food, eating more veggies, etc can also help. Another question, was this a fasting test or not? I'd still try the diet for 3-6 months and see if a fasting test shows any changes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
(male)

disbay HB User

My deit and exercise are so so a lot of room to do better. It was a non fasting test. I have done the other one before also. This test they had to send out of Ca. to do. it took over a week to get results it is supose to give them a more in depth look at blood count. Trying to see if I can pay for a test that will show if my arteries are blocked at all or how much at this point. I did a stress test and Heart is working fine but was told it would only show if arteries where block 70% or more. I heard there is a CT screening test that shows vessels for blockage.
Thanks

Old 09-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You could do an arteriogram but I don't think that's needed at this point. I'd try the diet and fish and then go back for the fasting test in 3-6 months. I don't think you're all that bad off that diet can't do some good. Just no fast food, no mexican, no italian, lots of fresh veggies, chicken, turkey fish - no red meat, etc.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

disbay,

For some of us with genetically high cholesterol diet and exercise alone often won't "cut it". You could also add supplementation, which has worked very well for me! You would get these supplements at a HFS or vitamin store

To lower LDL: Red Yeast Rice - Nature's Plus best brand

To raise HDL: Flush Niacin - you have to start very slow with a very low dose, like 50 to 100 mg. because of the flushing effect. Then you would very slowly raise the dose over months so that you are eventually getting about 1200 to 1500 mg. a day. But as I said, you have to ramp up in small increments.

There are also many posts on this board about this if you want to do a search.

Best,

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 09-10-2012 at 04:25 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
disbay (09-14-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
(male)

SENSEI J HB User

Hi disbay,

You can try consuming Ginger and Turmeric, both have been found to decrease cholesterol. They both reduced my overall cholesterol significantly.

You can try Ginger powder in tea or coffee, and the same with Turmeric.

You can research both those herbs for cholesterol lowering properties.

Good luck, John.

Last edited by SENSEI J; 09-10-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 09-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
(male)

disbay HB User

Thank you I've been out of town. I'll check into this. I'll try and find some more on this by doing a search under Cholesterol.

Reply Reply

Tags
blood, cholesterol, crestor cholesterol