HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High Cholesterol (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/)
-   -   can you reverse heart disease? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/920240-can-you-reverse-heart-disease.html)

PumpkinSeed 09-26-2012 10:11 AM

can you reverse heart disease?

i don't know if i actually have heart disease but it does concern me as my cholesterol test was not good.

(i'm canadian so i'm gonna have to convert this)

Cholesterol Total - 208.04331 mg/dl
Triglyceride - 112.1423 mg/dl
HDL - 25.13534 mg/dl
LDL - 131.86388 mg/dl
Chol. Ratio (?) not sure if i have to convert this but it was 8.3 and on the sheet it said 3x avg risk for females was 7.2-11.0

i fasted for 9 hours before taking this test.

my C-reactive protein high sensitivity test sucked too,

for cardiac risk assessment
<1.0 low risk
1.0 - 3.0 intermediate risk

mine is 4.1 (i'm in relative risk) - been drinking anti inflammatory ginger, circumin and green teas...

anyways, i know my good cholesterol is too low. i have decided to take fish oil caps, my doctor did not prescribe me any drugs.

if i have clogged arteries would changing my lifestyle and taking fish oil clean them out? i'm very paranoid as my dad had two heart attacks, one at age 58 and one at 61 (and a stroke at 59, 80% of his carotid artery was blocked). i am female but do worry about 'family history'. he had uncontrolled blood pressure for YEARS... like 180/110 sometimes... i was dx with HBP at age 31 and take atenolol 25mg a day and it's been under control all this time.

i have done a stress test which was very normal.

any advice?

i'm obviously overweight (210lbs 5'4, i smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and am really trying to quit... it's very hard. i also suffer from generalized anxiety and stomach problems.)

i am planning to have bariatric surgery to be able to keep the weight off and have to quit smoking before then. that should take care of those two issues.

is protein good for your heart?

i know when people have the surgery for weight loss they cut down tremendously on carbs. i don't really like atkins as i'm very grossed out about eating fatty foods (the bad kind like steaks and porkchops). so i would probably get my protein from lean meats (chicken and fish).

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i feel a walking time bomb and it stresses me out....

jenj770 09-26-2012 10:26 AM

Re: can you reverse heart disease?

Hi and welcome to this board,

Attending to your weight and cigarette smoking is a big step in the right direction, along with starting some form of exercise. Atkins isn't the only way to eat low carb. Look into the Zone diet. There are others as well.

I have a suggestion to raise your HDL as I don't think the fish oil alone is going to help your HDL that much. You might consider Flush Niacin. You have to start at a very low dose and ramp up very slowly but it has a good track record for raising HDL. There are many messages about this and how to do it on this board if you do a search. Another product you could research is Strauss's Heart drops, which is a Canadian product.

All the best!

Jen

PumpkinSeed 09-26-2012 11:00 AM

thank you.

i'll check out the flush niacin and i've definitely heard of strauss's heart drops.

what about garlic and coenzyme q10?

what about plaque that is already in the arteries? can you reverse any damage you may have done? i guess i could google that too haha.

jenj770 09-26-2012 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=PumpkinSeed;5062312]thank you.
what about plaque that is already in the arteries? can you reverse any damage you may have done? i guess i could google that too haha.[/QUOTE]

The Strauss drops are supposed to do this but you can research. The drops already have garlic in them, as well as many other good things. COQ10 is definitely a good idea to supplement.

PumpkinSeed 09-26-2012 06:12 PM

ack i looked up the strauss heart drops online and found the canadian quack watch website ripping the strauss family and their products to shreds (it was like the third website shown on google). i don't like to use anything that has controversy behind it, but i will certainly go shopping tomorrow for some garlic, coenzyme, fish oil and whatever else i can find (need more circumen).

jenj770 09-27-2012 04:04 AM

Yes, I know about this. I don't trust Quack Watch as they are often anti anything alternative, but of course you have to go with your own instincts.

Good luck with all this!

Jen

jennirvan34 09-27-2012 05:19 AM

Surely I will try the way, you shared here.

PumpkinSeed 09-27-2012 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=jenj770;5062743]Yes, I know about this. I don't trust Quack Watch as they are often anti anything alternative, but of course you have to go with your own instincts.

Good luck with all this!

Jen[/QUOTE]

i know right? sometimes they cut something down just over a minute detail that doesn't even matter. this was the canadian version, i like to read the american one and roll my eyes. because i know some of the things they do say are garbage have really worked for me. i think sometimes it's a covert site run by pharmaceutical companies lol. (tin foil hat on).

anyways... i will go with my own instincts definitely!

FirkinTrub 09-28-2012 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=PumpkinSeed;5062312]thank you.

i'll check out the flush niacin and i've definitely heard of strauss's heart drops.

what about garlic and coenzyme q10?

what about plaque that is already in the arteries? can you reverse any damage you may have done? i guess i could google that too haha.[/QUOTE]

Coenzyme q10 won't hurt but it's generally recommended for patients on statin therapy as statins can deplete levels of this cofactor and it's believed this may be one of the causes of myopathy in statin therapy. To increase your HDL the best therapy is aerobic exercise, as much as you can tolerate, most days of the week. Any little bit of exercise is better than nothing so do what you can and work it up slowly.

PumpkinSeed 09-29-2012 01:09 AM

so i went to the store and bought the coenzyme q10 200mg.

do you think i should take it back then? i mean if it won't hurt that's fine but is it useless? i paid a lot for it.

i also picked up the omega3's (been on them for a while).

as soon as my ankle heals from a wicked sprain i'm back on the treadmill. /nod.

thank you.

eta: i just did some reading about the supplement and migraines. i don't suppose it would hurt to take the month's worth and see if my headaches get better. i don't think it will hurt my heart in the process.

jenj770 09-29-2012 03:52 AM

[QUOTE=PumpkinSeed;5063931]so i went to the store and bought the coenzyme q10 200mg. do you think i should take it back then? i mean if it won't hurt that's fine but is it useless? i paid a lot for it.[/QUOTE]

If one is taking a statin or the alternative supplement Red Yeast Rice, COQ10 is absolutely necessary and the Ubiquinol form is better to take than Ubiquinone. But as we age our levels of COQ10 diminish, so that is reason enough to take it. It's benefits to the body are numerous in reducing oxidative stress and generally helping with potential effects of illness and such. You may, however, not need such a high dosage. A lower dose would be less expensive, if that is an issue.

Jen

PumpkinSeed 09-29-2012 08:30 PM

i'm giving the bottle to my mom cuz she is on statins for her cholesterol.

there are different doses i'll get the lower one.

i'm 42 female so dont know if i still am 'making' this stuff naturally.

copter105 11-02-2012 02:17 PM

The answer to your question posted in this topic is yes. You can reverse heart disease. Watch the documentary "Forks over Knives".

atengnr 11-27-2012 03:03 PM

Youve got to quit the cigarettes! It is going to catch up with you before long, and your numbers reflect that you are a smoker. Dont be another casualty to this addiction.

BluBird 03-04-2013 10:53 AM

This may sound dumb, but what is the difference between Ubiquinol and Ubiquinone?

I've been prescribed Lipitor (10mg) for high cholesterol. I read on another web site (no Dr has mentioned this) that I should take CoQ10. How much should I take and is there some "good" brands...I bought some Nature Made but it doesn't state if it's the Ubiquinol or Ubiquinone....