It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
(male)

All4MyFamily HB User
Dr. States My Cholesterol Is High. Am I?

I'm not sure what to make of these results. I went in for my annual physical to my GP Dr and she called today stating that my Cholesterol was high. Given my total was above 200 but doesn't having good ratios mean more than total Cholesterol?

Total Cholesterol: 207
HDL: 88
LDL: 113
Triglycerides: 28

Cholesterol HDL Ratio: 2.4
LDL / HDL Ratio: 1.3
VLDL 4.5

Last edited by All4MyFamily; 11-15-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Dr. States My Cholesterol Is High. Am I?

Yet another case of an alarmist doctor scaring the wits out of a patient because they don't understand the importance of ratios over the TC!

Your panel is fine, great numbers, actually!

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 11-15-2012 at 09:27 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
All4MyFamily (11-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
(male)

All4MyFamily HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Your panel is fine, great numbers, actually!
That is what I like to hear.

The Dr is telling me one thing where the research I've done is telling me another. Sometimes you just need to step back and get another opinion. Given that opinion is from a random stranger on the internet (taken with a grain of salt), it just shows EVERYONE has their own way of interpreting data.

Last edited by All4MyFamily; 11-15-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I absolutely agree with Jenj! Your numbers are fabulous......what is wrong with your doctor? I wonder sometimes about the education some of our physicians are receiving! Scary

Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

My lord, yes your numbers are beyond fabulous!! Your doc needs to relearn so lipids basics. WOW, what lovely numbers. HDL of 88!! AWESOME

Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
(male)

All4MyFamily HB User

Here is something interesting as well. I went in to get my health panel for my Life Insurance and they just came back and told me that since my total Cholesterol was over 200 that I was ineligible for the "Elite Pricing". Without the "Elite Pricing" my rates had to go up per month.

I guess my GP is not the only one that just looks at the total number without taking into consideration all the other factors.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Was this a fasting test? If not, I'd go back and get a fasting one....just to humor everyone. If it was fasting, you could probably just tweak your diet - lay off fast food, no fried food, ease back on the dairy and sugar - and make everyone happy as well. Not to mention those kinds of foods should be eaten in moderation.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
(male)

All4MyFamily HB User

Yes, they were both fasting test.

When it comes to the Insurance they told me that I have to wait 1 year to apply for a rate reduction. At that time I can get retested. For now I have to pay the higher premium.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4MyFamily View Post
Yes, they were both fasting test.

When it comes to the Insurance they told me that I have to wait 1 year to apply for a rate reduction. At that time I can get retested. For now I have to pay the higher premium.
Too bad you don't have a doc who understands the importance of ratios over the total cholesterol. But maybe you could find one so inclined who could speak on your behalf or write a letter to the insurance company.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
(male)

All4MyFamily HB User

The two test were done independently. The GP used the local hospital lab to the run the test since I just went in for a routine physical (I'm only 36 so my GP didn't run a gambit of test). Then a few days later I had more vials drawn again and they sent that to a lab in Kansas for test. The numbers came back almost identical (except the Life Insurance company ran many more tests as expected).

My GP had nothing to do with my Insurance, I just find in interesting that two separate Dr's and labs consider me "high". It's almost as if the "second opinion" agreed with my Dr. I wonder if there is something that I'm not seeing.

However, the Insurance Co would look at anything to keep premiums high.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

WEll, that's true. And they are only going to go by their guidelines. Like the fact that I have asthma and am on an inhaled steroid. They "rate" me also. It doesn't matter that it's so well controled that I am on only 1 puff per day when most people are on 4. Sorry - I have it, I use the med, I'm rated.

Reply Reply