It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
(male)

mlfar HB User
Looking for expert opinion on my cholesterol numbers

Hi, first of all, I have been taking Simvastatin for about 4-5 years now, and my cholesterol numbers have been "good" according to my doctor. I also take Micardis for high blood pressure. Last year after my blood work, he told me that he has never had a patient with a heart attack with my numbers. Well, I guess I let my guard down somewhat, and have really not eaten very well in the past year. Lots of fries, burgers, pizza, etc. And I haven't jogged nearly as much in the last year as I normally do.

Here are my numbers:
LDL-C: 100
HDL-C: 49
LDL-P: 1197
HDL-P: 33.6
Triglycerides: 88
Total Cholesterol: 167
Small LDL-P: 520
LDL Size: 20.7
LP-IR Score: 53

He faxed me in a presription of crestor, but I have yet to take it. It's my opinion I can improve these numbers by an improved diet and more excercise, especially since my numbers have been very good the last few years by just taking Simvastatin. What's your overall feeling on my numbers? Can I get these better with diet and excercise?

Old 11-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Looking for expert opinion on my cholesterol numbers

Your ratios are within the recommended guidelines, probably due to taking a cholesterol lowering drug, since you say your diet hasn't been up to par. I don't understand (with these numbers) why your doc would want you to now take Crestor. Is he replacing this with the Simvastatin?

I'm not an "expert" but I would agree with you that diet and exercise could be beneficial, especially a low carb diet. There are also alternatives to these drugs, with their heavy side-effects, if you are interested in going that route.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
(male)

mlfar HB User

Thanks for the reply Jen. I'm really not sure if he is replacing the Simvastatin with the Crestor or not. His office just faxed in the Crestor with no guidance. I haven't taken it yet, but plan to go back and see him. I don't believe I will take it regardless though.

What are the alternatives to these meds? And what are the side effects of Simvastatin? I've been taking it for a few years now, and don't seem to have had any noticable problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Your ratios are within the recommended guidelines, probably due to taking a cholesterol lowering drug, since you say your diet hasn't been up to par. I don't understand (with these numbers) why your doc would want you to now take Crestor. Is he replacing this with the Simvastatin?

I'm not an "expert" but I would agree with you that diet and exercise could be beneficial, especially a low carb diet. There are also alternatives to these drugs, with their heavy side-effects, if you are interested in going that route.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Jen

Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfar View Post
What are the alternatives to these meds? And what are the side effects of Simvastatin? I've been taking it for a few years now, and don't seem to have had any noticable problems?
Hi again,

I would suggest you research these statins yourself as it's important to know firsthand exactly what you are taking. Side effects are not always immediately felt but may be effecting something unseen. Just look for side-effects after the name of the drug.

As for alternatives, there are a great many posts here about the protocol that many of us follow, if you wish to do a search, but briefly:

to lower LDL - Nature's Plus Red Yeast Rice along with COQ10 Ubiquinol (at least 100mg)

to raise HDL - Flush Niacin - You have to start with a very low dose to avoid flushing too intensely and then slowly ramp up over weeks and months until you are getting about 1000 yo 1500 mg.

to lower Trigs - I happen to prefer Neptune Krill Oil (no fishy taste or after burps). I use Mercola's brand. As far as other oils, Omega 6 tends to promote inflammation, Omega 3 reduce inflammation.

My only other suggestion is that you might want to consider switching to a doc that is more communicative about your treatment.

Wishing you all the best,

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 11-24-2012 at 03:17 AM.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
(male)

mlfar HB User

Thanks so much Jen. That's very helpful advice. I believe I will try the alternatives. Hopefully that will allow me to get off the statin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Hi again,

I would suggest you research these statins yourself as it's important to know firsthand exactly what you are taking. Side effects are not always immediately felt but may be effecting something unseen. Just look for side-effects after the name of the drug.

As for alternatives, there are a great many posts here about the protocol that many of us follow, if you wish to do a search, but briefly:

to lower LDL - Nature's Plus Red Yeast Rice along with COQ10 Ubiquinol (at least 100mg)

to raise HDL - Flush Niacin - You have to start with a very low dose to avoid flushing too intensely and then slowly ramp up over weeks and months until you are getting about 1000 yo 1500 mg.

to lower Trigs - I happen to prefer Neptune Krill Oil (no fishy taste or after burps). I use Mercola's brand. As far as other oils, Omega 6 tends to promote inflammation, Omega 3 reduce inflammation.

My only other suggestion is that you might want to consider switching to a doc that is more communicative about your treatment.

Wishing you all the best,

Jen

Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

[QUOTE=mlfar;5092131]Hi, first of all, I have been taking Simvastatin for about 4-5 years now, and my cholesterol numbers have been "good" according to my doctor. I also take Micardis for high blood pressure. Last year after my blood work, he told me that he has never had a patient with a heart attack with my numbers. Well, I guess I let my guard down somewhat, and have really not eaten very well in the past year. Lots of fries, burgers, pizza, etc. And I haven't jogged nearly as much in the last year as I normally do.

Here are my numbers:
LDL-C: 100
HDL-C: 49
LDL-P: 1197
HDL-P: 33.6
Triglycerides: 88
Total Cholesterol: 167
Small LDL-P: 520
LDL Size: 20.7
LP-IR Score: 53

Whether these numbers are good is dependent upon your risk factors for coronary disease (this is how the LDL target is derived). If you have CAD, DM, CKD, peripheral vascular disease, carotid disease, then your LDL goal is <100, but ideally < 70. So it depends on you.

To be more simplistic, you can calculate your 10 yr risk of coronary disease with numerous calculators based upon the framingham study. America Heart Association has a good one....Give it a try. < 10% 10 yr risk is ideal.

Reply Reply