It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

Shelley48 HB UserShelley48 HB User
Just diagnosed High Cholesterol

Hi please advise me.
My doctor did a finger blood test for cholesterol and it was very high at 7.

So she got the nurse to take a blood test for the lab and it came back high at 6.6

She said she will not treat me now but I must stay off all fats for 3 months and not lift anything heavy. And to walk for a half hour each day. After 3 months she will re-test and see if I need statins.

Also I am NOT overweight and my blood pressure is fine and so is my sugar fine.

Dont have other numbers right now but she said the 'good cholesterol' is low.

Also my thyroid is low as i was hyperthyroid, had treatment and am now underactive (hypothyroid).

Four questions please:

Is 6.6 very high? ?
What foods should I eat and avoid please? ?
Is this 6.6 reading a danger to my heart? ?
What could have caused this since im not over-weight? Could it be my underactive thyroid? ?

Thank you
Shelley

Last edited by Shelley48; 12-10-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: left out words

Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Just diagnosed High Cholesterol

Shelly,

If I did the conversion correctly, your cholesterol would be about 255 in the U.S. That's higher than the docs want it but certainly not life threatening . Ask the doctor for your complete report of HDL, LDL, and triglycerides so we can make recommendations for diet, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
(female)

Shelley48 HB UserShelley48 HB User

Thank you Rudiraven I will get those results and post them.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
(male)

Jalex23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley48 View Post
Hi please advise me.
My doctor did a finger blood test for cholesterol and it was very high at 7.

So she got the nurse to take a blood test for the lab and it came back high at 6.6

She said she will not treat me now but I must stay off all fats for 3 months and not lift anything heavy. And to walk for a half hour each day. After 3 months she will re-test and see if I need statins.

Also I am NOT overweight and my blood pressure is fine and so is my sugar fine.

Dont have other numbers right now but she said the 'good cholesterol' is low.

Also my thyroid is low as i was hyperthyroid, had treatment and am now underactive (hypothyroid).

Four questions please:

Is 6.6 very high? ?
What foods should I eat and avoid please? ?
Is this 6.6 reading a danger to my heart? ?
What could have caused this since im not over-weight? Could it be my underactive thyroid? ?

Thank you
Shelley
I think your doctor made the right decision, you are not too above the high borderline (0.5), so a change of diet and some low intensity cardio workout should do the trick.

OK, now with your questions:

Is 6.6 very high? The desirable number is < 5.1, so no, it is not "very" but is high and you are more into the danger zone than into the safe zone. You don't want to play with your health.

What foods should I eat and avoid please? ? Avoid all saturated fats and anything that brings free cholesterol. Saturated fats are in all type of junk food and fast food, avoid fried stuff and any fat-based dishes (e.g. broth, risotto, wings).

Is this 6.6 reading a danger to my heart? ? Yes. Anything in the high zone is a dangerous for your heart. But in fact it is more dangerous for your arteries. You should read a little more on how high cholesterol affects your health.

What could have caused this since im not over-weight? Could it be my underactive thyroid? ? Being over-weight has nothing to do with having high cholesterol. Diet, exercise and genetics play the important part. Most of cases are diet-driven, you can eat a lot of junk food, do a lot of exercise, be fit but still you are loading your body with bad food and would be likely to develop high cholesterol. But not all, in my case for example it is genetics, so thatís the way I am.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

It really would be helpful to see all your figures> HDL, LDL, Triglycerides, to determine your exact ratios, which give a more accurate picture than the TC alone.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I just had bloodtest and cholesterol was 300 and am hypothyroid. My Ft4 is just below the middle of the range and should be in the upper 1/3. I had to ask the NP if she would please bump up my 75mcgs of levothyroxine to 88mcgs. She actually agreed.

She wants me to take a statin but I had a lot of trouble taking lipitor one time as it was caused excruiating pain throughout my body. She never suggested for me to diet and so on.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Hi Shelley

I'll 'chip in' here by first of all fully agreeing with Jen.

A Total Cholesterol reading on it's own today means very little. Ratios are now accepted as being more accurate ten year predictors for the development of heart disease than just a single lipid figure.

The medical establishment, WORLDWIDE, not just in the USA, set for instance a TC of 5mmol/L or 193.35mg/dl (USA measurement) as a dividing line between good and elevated levels. This figure has got to be a mean average level that has been set for people who have no other heart related health issues.

Everyone is different. Most older females who have passed through the menopause time in life tend to have an increase in their LDL cholesterol because their body needs it. Males also increase but at a lower rate than that of females.
On average, children tend to have low LDL and higher HDL because of their active exercise regime.

Have you any other heart related issues?
Diabesity?
Inherited High Cholesterol?

A TC of 6.6mmol/L in your particular case may not be that elevated at all. It all depends on a number of factors.

Over to you....

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 01-14-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Reply Reply