It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
(female)

Tenacious HB User
5.2 Cardio CRP Lab result... is this something to worry about ?

I have the Lab results sent to my home, this says I am HIGH risk for cardiovascular problems.

My Cholesterol was 211 (high)
HDL 47
RATIO 4.5
LDL 136 (high)
Tri 140
non HdL cholesterol (What is this??) 164 (high)

I am 46 yrs old - Female ...

Doctor has not called me yet.

This Cardio Result scared me. It said on the Lab results that a person should be tested in 2 weeks if we get a HIGH result

<1.0 = Lower Relative risk

1.0- 3.0 = Average Risk

3.0- 10.0 = Higher relative cardiovascular Risk- consider retesting in 1-2 weeks to exclude a benign transient elevation in the baseline CRP value secondary to infection or inflammation.

10.0 - persistent elevation -upon retesting may be associated with infection & inflammation according to AHA/CDC guidelines.

Thank you for all your help & expertise!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
(male)

RandomUserAZ HB User
Re: 5.2 Cardio CRP Lab result... is this something to worry about ?

Note, I am not a doctor, I just track my numbers closely and read a lot.

CRP responds to inflammation, and is an attempt to evaluate overall risk for cardiovascular issues. However, it can come from multiple and/or benign sources (i.e. a viral infection or flu). The reason they retest in 1-2 weeks is to check to see if it was a temporary spike or if the number is consistent.

The other numbers are borderline high, but not exceptionally so. My numbers were similar a few years ago and I got 'the talk' from my doctor, about making lifestyle changes to work on getting my numbers down, which I have. He/she may also recommend taking a statin to help the process, though many will recommend diet/exercise first.

non-HDL cholesterol is just your total (211) minus your HDL (47) = 164. Your LDL is calculated based off that number (non-HDL - Tri/5, so 164 - 140/5 = 136).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

Tenacious HB User

I didn't feel like I was sick at the time ... so I am assuming I was NOT...which is why this 5.2 is more worrisome, I guess I am wondering IF people get this result as often as others get borderline HIgh Cholesterol results, and it's not a big deal or it IS a huge deal. ??

Lets say if the 5.2 is normal for me..what would that mean, I am going to have a heart attack in the next 15 yrs ??

I could eat better, this much is true. I am thin at 120 lbs 5'2 height, I also know genetically High Ch runs in my family , those are the breaks. But no relatives have died or had heart attacks earlier than 70, well except on my Grandmothers side, 2 brothers had early heart attacks, they were smokers, but Gram lived to be almost 90 and a sister is over 90 right now . That never made much sense to me why the boys were stricken like that and the girls lived forever.

Thank you RandomUserAz

Last edited by Tenacious; 01-20-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Keep in mind that these results are computerized. If the value shows normal ending at 200, then ANYTHING over that will trigger a reading of HIGH. Mine was 201 once when I had it done non-fasting and mine said the same thing. Talked with my doctor and we bloth blew it off. So it's just that they have to put a formula in the computer and you just barely got over it.

Was it a fasting test? If not, I wouldn't give it another thought. If it was, then watch your diet a little more closely, go back in 6 months and have a fasting test.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Hi Tenacious,

Forget figures and look at the three main ratios, with the Triglyceride/HDL now being regarded as the most important as a ten year predictor for the onset of heart decease.

Forget the non-HDL, it is irrelevant for any type of equation.

Your ratios being:
TC/HDL = 4.49 ( should be =<4.5. (4.6 to 7.0 moderate risk in females without diabetes and/or high BP)
LDL/HDL = 2.89 (should be =< 3.2. (3.3 to 5.0 moderate risk.)
Trigs/HDL = 2.98 (should be =< 2.0. (2.1 to 4.0 moderate to high.)

Looking at your ratios you need to increase your HDL further and to also reduce your Trig's. These can be achieved relatively easily within eight weeks by consuming an amount of Omega 3 fish oil that will yield ~600mg EPA and 400mg DHA....plus a daily intake of Krill oil which is guaranteed to produce a high level of Astaxanthin and Phospholipids. eg: Source Naturals ArcticPure.

My HDL increased by ~30% and Trigs reduced by ~20% and is maintained.

I think that there is a little scaremongering going on here into taking a Statin drug. The figures you quote are not that elevated. Your HDL is good.
Your body, so do not be talked into taking drugs at this point. Try the good and tested methods that we here are following and then advise others.

The ratios I have quoted are from the British medical journal which are guidance figures for the British National Health Service to act on.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 01-20-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
(male)

RandomUserAZ HB User

In addition to the fish oils, you might try baby-aspirin (81mg) daily. That will reduce inflammation and lower your CRP as well. As always, talk to your doctor first.

Reply Reply