It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
(male)

chikwyjibo HB User
Niacin Question

Just curious if there is any efficacy difference on HDL in taking a large dose of Niacin once a day or splitting it 2-3 times a day.

The tradeoffs I can see is a single dose will increase the flushing due to the longer period between dosages, but reduce the chance of liver damage due to the reduced metobolic time. I understand the risk is low with IR but lowering a risk is still a good thing.

My doctor suggested taking Niacin to boost my HDL number. By the end of the first week, I was taking 3x1000mg daily. I would like to drop down to once or twice a day for convenience. I've tried 1500 and 2000 without issue.

Just want to know if there is any info out there I can look at before discussing with my doctor. Or any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks.

My background:
Nov 2010 - Tot 235, HDL 28, LDL 119, Tri 397, Weight 255, BP 134/106
Doctor threatened meds if I didn't lose weight, joined WW and lost 40 lbs
May 2012 - Tot 225, BP 130/98 (blood donation center)
Almost rejected from donating due to BP, joined gym, exercise 2-3 a week
Sept 2012 - Tot 199, BP 118/84 (blood donation center)
Nov 2012 - Tot 203, HDL 31, LDL 137, Tri 175, BP 130/84
Started taking Niacin, Vit D3, All purpose multivitamin, Fish Oil
Jan 2013 - Tot 177, BP 110/70 (blood donation center)
Feb 2013 - ? doctor wants to test again

Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Niacin Question

Good job on getting weight off, cholesterol and BP down nicely! My feeling with the Niacin is that if you can tolerate the 1500mg twice a day, that would be ideal, after breakfast and dinner. I think it should be more efficient spread out than with a single dose, and that would probably turn you lobster red all day, and uncomfortable. I assume you were put on a low cholesterol diet and a low sugar/refined carbohydrate diet to get the triglycerides down? You must feel better now than ever, and your efforts are paying off nicely!

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
chikwyjibo (02-08-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
(male)

chikwyjibo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Good job on getting weight off, cholesterol and BP down nicely! My feeling with the Niacin is that if you can tolerate the 1500mg twice a day, that would be ideal, after breakfast and dinner. I think it should be more efficient spread out than with a single dose, and that would probably turn you lobster red all day, and uncomfortable. I assume you were put on a low cholesterol diet and a low sugar/refined carbohydrate diet to get the triglycerides down? You must feel better now than ever, and your efforts are paying off nicely!
Thanks Ladybud. I was waiting for my official numbers to come back before I reposted. They were

Tot 168
HDL 44
LDL 108
Tri 82

42% improvement in HDL in 3 months, the Niacin did its job.

Nothing special for diet, just WW online. Although the point system does emphasis protien & fiber over carbs & fat. My doctor wants me to drop down to 1 g twice a day and see where it's at in 3 months.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

WOW!!! These look so much better...You are truly a success story. To get your HDL up even further, exercise regularly is the RX. Nice work and great results!

Reply Reply