It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
(female)

rosrob HB User
Cholesterol numbers??

Hello
I wonder whether there are any cholesterol number experts out there please

I had a fasting full lipid blood test. Useless surgery that despite 2 phone calls cannot tell me what my triglycerides are.

On going through the list of results....I managed to ascertain....I think!

HDL 1.7
LDL 1.7
Total cholesterol 4.7

(whilst the pretty useless woman at the surgery was trying to convey what was on the result...she also said at one stage serum HDL 2.7...think she said a 1.2 somewhere....and 0.3 somewhere......but i think the above..1.7 for both hdl and ldl is correct.....

The doctor has put on the results...normal...no action to be taken.

What i really want to know is what my triglycerides are.....i know there are ratios and all sorts of thing.....and arent you supposed to do something with the hdl ratio and trigs ratio to see how much risk of chd you are.......need to know those trigs.....thanks....not riinging incompetent surgery again as rang twice and had to prise out of them what i did get.....

Many thanks

Are there any clever people who know how to work out the triglycerides from the numbers above.....

Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
(male)

RandomUserAZ HB User
Re: Cholesterol numbers??

I don't think it is correct that HDL and LDL are the same, you might want to go over the numbers again. LDL is typically much higher than HDL. Those numbers don't really add up properly. Call them again to get the numbers. In the US, at least, you can ask for a copy of the report as well; hopefully, you can do that there as well so you have a hard copy.

The basic calculation for LDL is

LDL = total cholesterol – HDL – (triglycerides/5)

Using the numbers above would give Triglycerides of 6.5, which is not realistic (the doctor would not consider that normal, imo).

The 4.7 total is in range (<5). The ratio I normally see used is having Total/HDL under 5.0. If the 1.7 HDL number is correct, you are under 3, which is great.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-10-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply