It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
(male)

mlfar HB User
What should my cholesterol numbers be?

Hi, just wondered if any of you experts can tell me what my ideal cholesterol numbers should be to maintain my health. I'm a 44 year old male. I do have high blood pressure, which I take Micardis for, but other than that, I don't consider myself high risk for a heart attack. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I'm not overweight (I weigh 164), and I don't have a history of heart problems in my family. What numbers should I try to maintain for HDL, LDL, total, and triglycerides? And, is cholesterol particle size believed to be an important factor?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User
Re: What should my cholesterol numbers be?

Sure, no problem.

TC should <=5mmol/L (193.35 mg/dl)
LDL <= 3mmol/L (116.00 mg/dl)
HDL => 1mmol/L (38.67 mg/dl)
Trigs <= 1.5mmol/L (133 mg/dl)

Ratios are now considered to be the most accurate figures in determining a ten year prediction for CHD. (Especially Trigs/HDL)
TC/HDL ratio should =<4.5
LDL/HDL ratio should =<3.2
Trig/HDL ratio = <2
4 = High
6 = Very high risk.

Indeed, particle size is a factor, but not the most important.
Large buoyant HDL and LDL particles are the most ideal.
Large particles of LDL tend to flow more easily throughout the network and are less likely to stick to the artery walls. Large HDL particles gather and return more LDL back to the liver.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 02-15-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
(male)

mlfar HB User

Hi Yack, thanks very much for those numbers. The following are my numbers a few months ago when I had my yearly exam. I have been taking simvastatin for a few years, and after this latest test, my doctor wanted to INCREASE my cholesterol meds. Do you consider these numbers a reason to increase meds? I certainly don't. In fact, I'm highly considering coming off the simvastatin all together. I believe with diet and exercise, I can keep my numbers within the ranges you showed. When I first started taking the statin a few years ago, my total chol was like 220. Don't remember what my other numbers were. But I weighed in the mid to high 170s then. I did a little weight training, but nothing in the way of cardio. Now I'm 164, weight train, and jog. I definitely want to stop taking the statin if at all possible, and I believe I can keep my numbers good without it. I respect my physician and his knowledge, but I'm just looking for a second opinion and trying to do what is best for myself. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

HDL-C 49
Trig 88
Tot Chol 167
HDL-P 33.6
Small LDL-P 520
LDL Size 20.7
LDL-P 1197
LDL-C 100
LP-IR Score 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by yackedar View Post
Sure, no problem.

TC should <=5mmol/L (193.35 mg/dl)
LDL <= 3mmol/L (116.00 mg/dl)
HDL => 1mmol/L (38.67 mg/dl)
Trigs <= 1.5mmol/L (133 mg/dl)

Ratios are now considered to be the most accurate figures in determining a ten year prediction for CHD. (Especially Trigs/HDL)
TC/HDL ratio should =<4.5
LDL/HDL ratio should =<3.2
Trig/HDL ratio = <2
4 = High
6 = Very high risk.

Indeed, particle size is a factor, but not the most important.
Large buoyant HDL and LDL particles are the most ideal.
Large particles of LDL tend to flow more easily throughout the network and are less likely to stick to the artery walls. Large HDL particles gather and return more LDL back to the liver.

Yack.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
(male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Hi mlfar,

Your ratios, if you haven't worked them out yet are as follows:

TC/HDL = 3.4
LDL/HDL = 2.04
Trigs/HDL = 1.8

ALL are well within the recommended ranges and I fail to understand why your doctor is asking you to increase the dosage, unless you have a heart condition or diabetes.

Being on Zocor and looking at your initial TC, you must be on either 10mg or 20mg dosage. I would favour 10mg.
You are supplementing with at least 100mg Coenzyme-Q10 aren't you whilst taking a statin? (Statins prevent the production of this enzyme.)

It's your decision in what to do.
To help you in reaching a decision, I was on 40mg Simvastatin (Zocor) for 54 months. During the last six months of that course I started developing very bad muscle pains and a head feeling as though I was in a 'fog', being unable to fully concentrate at work. I saw my doctor and we decided to initially decrease my dosage to 20mg for twelve weeks and retest...Guess what? My LDL dropped lower than when I was on 40mg, but the muscle pains and fogginess remained. I came off Statins altogether and my body returned to normal after about four months.

I would look at taking for three month with your Statin:

Krill Oil
Omega 3 (EPA/DHA) delivering a minimum of 1mg at a ratio of 2:1 (EPA-DHA)
1 gram aged garlic.

Wean off the Statin slowly and then retest following 3 months of cessation. Take new course of action depending on your results. If there is an increase in LDL, then consider taking 600mg Natures Plus Read Yeast Rice daily with evening meal.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 02-16-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
(male)

mlfar HB User

Yack, you are being so helpful, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. And wow, our circumstances seem very similar. I too have been on 40mg of Simvastatin, and not too much longer than you was.....probably about 5 years. And I too have been experiencing muscle pain. And no, I don't have a heart condition or diabetes. And I have never taken Coenzyme-Q10. My doctor didn't tell me about this.

I have definitely decided to come off the statins and see what my numbers are 4 or 5 months from now when I go back for my yearly physical. Are you saying I should slowly ween off the statin? I can't just stop taking it immediately?

I hope with where my weight is now, the way I'm excercising, and paying attention to what I eat, I can keep my ratios in check. If not, maybe I will try the red rice yeast. I've read some about that, but was a little apprehensive about it because it can have something in it that is bad for you and it is not FDA controlled is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yackedar View Post
Hi mlfar,

Your ratios, if you haven't worked them out yet are as follows:

TC/HDL = 3.4
LDL/HDL = 2.04
Trigs/HDL = 1.8

ALL are well within the recommended ranges and I fail to understand why your doctor is asking you to increase the dosage, unless you have a heart condition or diabetes.

Being on Zocor and looking at your initial TC, you must be on either 10mg or 20mg dosage. I would favour 10mg.
You are supplementing with at least 100mg Coenzyme-Q10 aren't you whilst taking a statin? (Statins prevent the production of this enzyme.)

It's your decision in what to do.
To help you in reaching a decision, I was on 40mg Simvastatin (Zocor) for 54 months. During the last six months of that course I started developing very bad muscle pains and a head feeling as though I was in a 'fog', being unable to fully concentrate at work. I saw my doctor and we decided to initially decrease my dosage to 20mg for twelve weeks and retest...Guess what? My LDL dropped lower than when I was on 40mg, but the muscle pains and fogginess remained. I came off Statins altogether and my body returned to normal after about four months.

Look into taking initially with your statins:

Krill Oil
Omega 3 (EPA/DHA) delivering a minimum of 1mg at a ratio of 2:1 (EPA-DHA)
1 gram aged garlic.

Wean off the Statins slowly and then retest after 3 months of cessation. Take new course of action depending on your results. If there is an increase in LDL, then consider taking 600mg Natures Plus Read Yeast Rice daily with evening meal.

Yack.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
(male)

Personally, I wean off all drugs, even aspirin...LOL

Here's a post I wrote three or four years ago about RYR.

Here is a list of safe and fully tested RYR products on sale in the USA, as documented by an independent USA laboratory, Consumer Lab.

ConsumerLab released the results of their tests on ten brands of RYR.
Products by Solaray, Natural Balance, and VegLife contained levels of lovastatin within the range that the FDA considers naturally occurring and safe.

What is really concerning is that the potential kidney toxin, citrinin, was found in 4 of the products — the 3 listed above and Walgreens. I've read that members of this board are taking a couple of the above brands. So at least, they have been warned.

None of the products contained lead, and the monacolin content ranged from one to ten. (Fourteen to date are known.)

The remaining tested products were from 21st Century, Cholestene, Chole-sterin, Healthy America, Nature’s Plus, and Schiff.
Across the 10 products, levels of monacolins per pill ranged from 0.3 mg up to 10.6 mg.

Note:
The Nature's Plus product contains the 10.6mg
NO RYR products have been FDA approved over there in the States for obvious reasons. However, in the 'rest of the world' various RYR have been examined and turned 'inside out'.

I recommend Nature's Plus, it's been fully independently tested and it works....My wife has been taking it for four years and the product has dropped and maintained her LDL by ~40%. She has inherited High Cholesterol with normal Blood Pressure.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 02-18-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Reply Reply